Thursday, December 26, 2013

Hey, I was wondering about something I was hoping you could give me some insight on. If a person is in a wheelchair and you're offering to open a door when you see them struggling (more inside, like if they are trying to get into the bathroom while you're waiting for a class), how should I word it so I don't imply that they can't do it themselves? I usually say "May I get the door for you?" or "May I help you?" but I wanted to see if there was anything possibly more polite I should be saying

[Image is: a close up on a wooden door]



I can only speak for myself, but I definitely appreciate the offer of help, as opposed to a person insisting: “Do you need help?” as opposed to “Let me get that for you,” for example.  I’d say, too, that you can feel free to address a person in a wheelchair the same way you might offer to help anyone else who has their hands full.  It’s not so different, really. 
Thank you for asking! If you have anymore questions, let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment