Monday, March 31, 2014

A Note to Parents

I read something today, and I just feel like crying. I can’t explain all the ways it hurts my heart. I feel for overwhelmed parents. I do. I have no idea what it’s like to be them. But as a person with a disability myself, I always find myself identifying with the kids. And I’m shocked, hurt and scared.
I am a firm believer in there always being hope and a way out. Start with what you can change. As the parent, you are likely also the adult in your child’s life. If you cannot cope with the situation you are in, or with your child’s needs, get help.
I understand that not everyone is in the position to get professional help. Maybe you don’t have adequate insurance or childcare, or a whole host of things. But reach out to SOMEONE. A friend, your parents, your significant other, someone who you can talk to about difficult days.
If you cannot safely parent your child, have alternatives in place. Even simple things, like stepping outside for a moment to breathe and collect yourself. There is no shame in asking for help.
Take care, parents. Of yourselves and of your children. If you can’t take care of yourself or your children, reach out. You are in control. Use that control to make positive changes for yourself and your child.

No comments:

Post a Comment