Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Stuck In Neutral

Today, I saw a post recommending a book called Stuck in Neutral by Terry Trueman. So, I did some checking.  It's a pretty universally well-received book.  About a 14-year-old main character with Cerebral Palsy, who's convinced that his dad wants to kill him, to spare him from the "hardship" of his life.

The author himself has a son with CP.  And he wrote a book about a son who is afraid he wants to kill him.  

This is a book meant for children, ten years old and up.  Which, via the description, addresses complex issues of "euthanasia" (which is not euthanasia when it involves a child, because a child cannot legally consent.)  This is a book about a child, afraid that he will be killed by his own father.  Written by a father of a child with similarly severe CP.

I have never read this book, but just the idea of it chilled me.  I hate knowing that it's being read as part of English classes, and being taught to children.  These children come away thinking they know what it's like to have CP because of a book like this - a book not written by a person with it, but by the father of someone with it.

I don't even know what more to say.  I just needed to vent.

No comments:

Post a Comment