Thursday, February 26, 2015

Guest Post on What Do You Do Dear?

Check it out here:   Cautions and Kudos for Able Parents Raising Disabled Kids.

I loved being able to sound off on something that is so close to my heart.  There is such a rift between able parents raising disabled kids and disabled adults, and I wanted this post to be able to begin to bridge that gap.  So often, in the past, when I have seen something that is damaging or harmful being reposted by lots of able parents (in reference to disabled kids) they don't recognize the harm, and don't seem to want to.

So, it was amazing when I first connected with Mary Evelyn last month after reading this amazing post by her My Son's Disability Defines Him (And Why I'm Okay With That).  It's so positive (and so rare) to see an able parent actively embracing their disabled child's status as a disabled child.  It's awesome, and I hope many more able parents follow her example.  It was amazing to connect with her, and get to know someone who was open to learning, and open to hearing from a disabled person.

And when she asked me to guest post on her blog, on top of that? I was floored.  In the best way.

So check out my post and check out her blog...and know there's a bridge being built.

No comments:

Post a Comment