Friday, September 4, 2015

My Biggest Insecurity

262 words
2 minute read

I'm going to be honest here and say that, by and large, my biggest insecurity is being disabled.  This is not because there is anything wrong with being disabled.  (There isn't.)  It's because, as a disabled person (and a disabled woman) I am more vulnerable to maltreatment (accidental or otherwise) than able bodied people.

I live keenly aware that my fixed income is all I have to live on, month to month.  I hold my breath and hope that I can get what I need in terms of adaptive equipment, because even with sufficient insurance, there are bumps in the road, and the process can take much longer than it should.  So I hope that, in the meantime, nothing breaks.  I rely on family, friends, and taxis for transportation.  And while my family has been great, and is so dependable when they are in town, they aren't always in town.  When that's the case, I am at the mercy of taxis that take an hour and a half to arrive, because it was specified that one of the passengers was in a wheelchair.

Having CP isn't always easy, and I don't want to paint an unrealistic picture on this blog.  I am proud of who I am (and that includes being disabled) but part of that identity means there are aspects of my life that are difficult, and where, a lot of my insecurities stem from.

CP isn't always easy.  Me and my sis, recovering from major surgery at age 10
***

Don't forget to connect on Facebook / Twitter / Instagram


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment. I always love hearing from people. :)