Thursday, March 24, 2016

AZ Chapman Says: Cerebral Palsy Awareness Month Interview #5

503 words
4 minute read

What is the most important thing you have learned about yourself?


That I can  accomplish a lot of tasks.


What is your favorite thing about the month of March? 

It would have to be CP Awareness month.  Sometimes having CP is hard, but having two times a year to celebrate reminds me that there are gifts that come with it.

What is your favorite thing about yourself relating to your disability?

I love the connection it gives me to other people with disabilities.  (Not just CP, but other diagnoses  as well.)

How do you deal with people's invasive questions, comments, or stares?

Well, I have mild CP so I do not get stares  that often.  For questions I just say that I have CP, so that is why I talk funny.  Mostly it's kids that ask and I  am fine with their questions.

What is your favorite song?

 I like You'll Be in My Heart from Tarzan.  I also like the Beatles and Billy Joel.  I really like uplifting, positive songs.

What is one thing you want people to realize once they meet you? 

How smart I am.  I have trouble  saying my real name.  Everyone knows me online by  AZ Chapman,   but my real name is hard for me to say.  I want people to  know that just because I talk differently does not mean I am not intelligent.  I graduated from community college with honors and  will get my BA this June.  But people  assume  because I have trouble  speaking that I have trouble learning which is not the case.

Do you have a role model or a favorite celebrity in the disability community? If so, who are they, and share a little about them.

I really like disability  activist, Norman Kunc.  He is funny and intelligent and gives talks about inclusion.  Definitely want to meet him one day.

 Have you ever watched TV, movies or a music video and thought, "That person's just like me!"?  What was the show/movie/video?  Describe the moment that made you feel the most seen, heard or validated as a disabled person/person with a disability?

 I am mixed (Black, Mexican and White)  and do not use adaptive equipment so  I rarely see people that look  like  me.  However, sometimes   I can relate to other  able bodied characters.  A few years ago, I  joined a Facebook group of people with CP and from there met a ton of people with CP.  It was nice because those are  my peeps.

What is your favorite piece of adaptive equipment and why is it your favorite? (Wheelchair, walker, crutches, etc,) (Can be yours or someone else's.) 

 I do not have adaptive equipment, but  I do like my Pulse pen that I use to take tests.

What is your favorite scent? 

Perfume, or the scent of my favorite people.


***

{Image is AZ Chapman
seated and smiling at
the camera.  A small
white dog is off to one side.
Photo credit:
AZ Chapman}





Connect with AZ Chapman at AZ is Amazing

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment. I always love hearing from people. :)