Monday, May 29, 2017

Sister Date

334 words
3 minute read

Yesterday was a pretty amazing day.  My sis and I got up early and I went with her to work at a local store, where I browsed while she opened.

The walk/roll there was so lovely.  No traffic because of the holiday weekend.  Blue sky.  50-some degrees.  (That's warm where we live.)  Just all kinds of perfect.

Kind of like this:

[Image is a road with a blue sky, fog, a tree and a painted red house in the distance.]
I spent a couple hours looking at stuff and then Tara and I met up.  We did our shopping.  We stopped for coffee and hot chocolate on the way home.  And shared a delicious bagel with sesame seeds.

What was my favorite part?

Just talking to each other.

Just being together.

My favorite part was that - for once - no one said anything ableist.  Everyone's spontaneous, warm, "Good mornings" made me feel human.  Offers of help were genuine.  Not overblown.  Not steeped in pity.  The barista matter-of-factly asking if I wanted whipped cream on my drink and later telling me she "tried to make a heart out of the foam" made me feel human.

Being treated like a human being in public should not be rare or blog post worthy.  But it is, because I so rarely get the opportunity to come home feeling affirmed.  Feeling valued.  Feeling human.

My favorite part was that my sis wanted me with her yesterday.  And when I finally figured out logistics and agreed that of course I wanted to go with her and have a sister date - that I was glad she invited me with her, she said, "I always want you with me."

Is it such a big deal to be wanted?

To be treated with dignity?

For some of us, it is.

For some of us, it's the biggest deal.

And all those things made spending time with my favorite person that much more special.

***

Don't forget to connect on Facebook / Twitter / Instagram


4 comments:

  1. I love this!! I'm so glad you had such a wonderful day together! <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must say I have been lucky enough to have most of my days be like this one you describe. I have experienced ableism of course but apparently you experienced a lot more. I'm so sorry you felt so devalued at other times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you've had more positive experiences <3

      Delete

Please feel free to leave a comment. I always love hearing from people. :)