Friday, May 12, 2017

Update

305 words
2 minute read

I thought it was about time for an update.

I took an unexpected blogging hiatus but connecting with a new friend with CP has let me know just how needed all of our blogs and experiences are.

The blogging hiatus afforded me lots of time to write National Novel Writing Month novels (in both November and April), post my thoughts on season 4B's The Fosters episodes (with Tara) and discover scary new shows like Stranger Things - which I like, even though Startle Reflex means we have to watch all the monster parts on mute!

Tara and me, twinning hardcore.  December, 2016

It's been so great to be able to have connections to the disability community.  If it's our bestie, who we can count on to rant to about CP-related things, or our other bestie, whose middle child has CP and calls us "her role models," those connections are so important.

Because when you've got friends who drop everything to come and get you in an ice storm?  Friends whose daughter has the same Startle Reflex that you do, and she (and your sis) both startle in tandem, while watching Finding Dory?  Friends' whose youngest daughter, took one look at Greenie and said emphatically, "I like that!  I like it!"...?  It matters.

When you have friends who are as excited about a novel you are writing that they read along?  And comment to every chapter?  And when you least expect it, they gift you with the most amazing companion journal complete with excerpts and corresponding pictures (even homemade silhouettes of a character who is not pictured anywhere...and they even make sure that that character's CP is visible in her stance...)  It matters.

As Meredith Grey would say, "You find your people...and you stay with them."

***

Don't forget to connect on Facebook / Twitter / Instagram


7 comments:

  1. Aww you guys!! :,) <3 <3 <3 Thank you for being my people! (And I can't WAIT for the next installments of your novel!) xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU for being OUR people <3 <3 <3 (And I'm so glad you're still excited for it!)

      Delete
  2. You're writing a novel?! Can I read it please? :) This is how I feel with my CP peeps (like you K!). I love the in synch startle reflex moments!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're on Tumblr, right? I can send you the link there, if that's okay.

      Delete
    2. So so sorry for the delay in replying! I had finals. Yes, yes I still want to read your novel!! Yes my tumblr is http://cripvideoproductions.tumblr.com
      If that doesn't work let me know and I'll give you access to the other tumblr I have via email. :)

      Delete
    3. Okay, I'll send a link your way <3

      Delete

Please feel free to leave a comment. I always love hearing from people. :)