Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Interview with Alice Kina Diehl

884 words
7 minute read

Today, I have the pleasure of interviewing Alice Kina Diehl.  You may remember back in February, I caught sight of her character, emergency medical dispatcher, Stephanie Gaskins, on an episode of the FOX show 9-1-1.  I blogged about the rare moment of positive representatation in this scene.


TONIA SAYS:  Authentic media representation for people with disabilities is sparse.  How did you first become interested in acting?  Was it something you always dreamed of doing, or something you grew interested in as you got older? 


ALICE KINA DIEHL:  I started acting when I was five years old. I had family members that were involved in the business way back when, and luckily they shared their gifts with me. But, it really started because I love movies so much, and I wanted to be a part of them.




TS:  Are there any disabled actors you looked up to in the industry who inspired you to pursue acting? 

AKD:  [The movie] Forrest Gump inspired me quite a bit as a child. It made me wonder whether Forrest was really disabled or whether society was disabled itself. Super deep, man!

TS:  How did you get your start in acting? 

AKD:  I got involved with local theater groups in Calaveras County where I am from.

TS:  What challenges or barriers do you face in the entertainment industry? 

AKD:  The challenges we face are constant.  Seven or eight years ago, I used to never get auditions whatsoever.  But, now that things are changing, I do get seen a lot more. However, I’m usually always competing with able-bodied actors as well.

TS:  You mention things changing in the entertainment industry.  What, specifically, do you think it is that's changing?

AKD:  The thing that’s changing I think is people's minds and the outcry. I think the current administration has something to do with it. People are craving differences more than they ever have before. Despite what’s going on in Washington.


TS:  Do you ever read for parts that are not specifically written as disabled roles?  Why or why not? 

AKD:  Yeah, that’s happened more recently, and it’s really great to see. All the actors with disabilities in Southern California are completely capable of playing any role put in front of them.

TS:  Do you have a dream role?  If so, what is it?

AKD:  Stephanie Gaskins was quite the dream role as I always wanted to be an actual first responder like my dad was. But, I would love to be seen in the horror genre. As I’ve always been quite the horror junkie.


TS:  Has there been a particular role that has taught you more than most?  What about one that has been the most fun to play?

AKD:  For the past six years I have worked with the charity haunted house in Thousand Oaks, California called Reign of Terror. Through that I created my own character with her own room.  Her name is mAlice and it’s a great gig because you have to know different scares for different people and when to use that scare reflex for good or bad!

TS:  It seems like casting directors are generally hesitant to cast authentically disabled actors.  Do you find this to be true? 

AKD:  It’s absolutely true, and I think it just boils down to education. That’s why it’s good to have a good agent on your side, who can go to bat for you. I’m very lucky to have the agent that I have who’s known me since I was 15 years old and completely knows what I’m capable of as well as my worth.

TS:  Do you have any encouragement for casting directors who may be considering hiring an authentically physically disabled actor, instead of a nondisabled one? 

AKD:  Do it. You will find that it makes your series or your film one of a kind and more interesting. The audience has been ready for it for a long time so just fucking do it!

TS:  Many people would consider CP a weakness, but does it give you any strength? If so, how?

AKD:  It has helped me see the world from a different angle and for that, I wouldn’t change it for the world. All the people I’ve met with disabilities have truly been amazing. Including my wife, who has Multiple Sclerosis.

TS:  What does the CP community mean to you? 

AKD:  When I think of people with CP, I think of innate strength, a wicked sense of humor, endless compassion and understanding. I’ve yet to meet a person with a disability that I didn’t like.

TS:  If someone with CP or another disability was considering pursuing acting, what would you tell them? 


AKD:  Start in theater.  It’s a great way to make friends get a sense of camaraderie. Study with all the great teachers and get a good agent who’s on your side.  Find your niche, and always remember to have fun! It’s a marathon not a sprint.

TS:  What's next for you? 

AKD:  I’m very excited that I get to be a part of a new documentary that focuses on people disabilities.  Hopefully it should come about in 2020.


   For more on Alice (or mAlice), check out these links:  

***

Don't forget to connect on Facebook / Twitter / Instagram


2 comments:

  1. Hi Tonia,
    I meant to comment on this post earlier. I love her responses and I'm so glad I have another great disabled actor on my radar. I agree, I think casting disabled actors as disabled characters makes for better story telling.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment. I always love hearing from people. :)