Saturday, December 29, 2018

30 Books I Read in 2018: 16-20

654 words 
5 minute read

Books 1-5 | Books 6-10 | Books 11-15


16. My Story by Elizabeth Smart



Genre: Autobiography / Memoir

Disability Representation: Yes (trauma)

Rating: 4 Wheels

Age Range: 18+

Excerpt of Goodreads SummaryFor the first time, ten years after her abduction from her Salt Lake City bedroom, Elizabeth Smart reveals how she survived and the secret to forging a new life in the wake of a brutal crime.

What I Thought: This was a reread for me, and a strong one.  I get more out of this book each time I read it.  Elizabeth is such a strong voice in the survivor community and I appreciate her willingness to speak out.  


17. Allegedly by Tiffany D. Jackson



Genre: YA

Disability Representation: Yes (mental health)

Rating: 1 Wheel

Age Range: 14+

Excerpt of Goodreads SummaryMary B. Addison killed a baby.

Allegedly. She didn’t say much in that first interview with detectives, and the media filled in the only blanks that mattered: A white baby had died while under the care of a churchgoing black woman and her nine-year-old daughter. The public convicted Mary and the jury made it official. But did she do it? She wouldn’t say.

What I Thought: I liked this book so much until the end, which kind of soured it for me.  Would not reread, but I am glad I read it once.


18. TRUST by Iyanla Vanzant



Genre: Self Help

Disability Representation: No?

Rating: 1 Wheel

Age Range: 18+

Excerpt of Goodreads Summary“You just can’t trust anyone!” seems to be a constant refrain in the modern world. Indeed, learning to trust is one of life’s most difficult lessons. “That’s because trust is not a verb,” says legendary life coach Iyanla Vanzant, “it’s a noun. Trust is a state of mind and a state of being.”

What I Thought: I was a big fan of Iyanla Vanzant on the show Starting Over, back in the early 2000s.  But this all just seemed too much to grasp too quickly for me.  I felt like this was Trust 5.0 and I was missing a bunch of levels before I got here.  The one takeaway I got?  "The chef's job is to be the chef.  You are not the chef.  You are the carrot.  Your job is to be a carrot."


19. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling



Genre: Fantasy

Disability Representation: Yes (trauma)

Rating: 3 Wheels

Age Range: 12+

Excerpt of Goodreads SummaryHarry Potter's life is miserable. His parents are dead and he's stuck with his heartless relatives, who force him to live in a tiny closet under the stairs. But his fortune changes when he receives a letter that tells him the truth about himself: he's a wizard. A mysterious visitor rescues him from his relatives and takes him to his new home, Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.

What I Thought: I first read this book a couple of years ago, and thought it was time to give it another chance.  Strangely, I found myself enjoying it more this time around.  Though I had to keep notes to keep track of some of the more fantastical elements, the overall story was engaging, and I really enjoyed it this time.


20. VOX by Christina Dalcher



Genre: Science Fiction / Dystopia

Disability Representation: Yes (trauma)

Rating: 3 Wheels

Age Range: 18+

Excerpt of Goodreads SummarySet in an America where half the population has been silenced, VOX is the harrowing, unforgettable story of what one woman will do to protect herself and her daughter...

What I Thought:  The premise is what got me reading this one!  So intriguing and strangely believable.  While I wasn't super invested in every aspect of this (romance), the story itself was strong enough to keep my interest and I found myself wanting to know what would happen next.  A real page-turner.


***


Don't forget to connect on Facebook / Twitter / Instagram


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment. I always love hearing from people. :)