Monday, January 2, 2017

Great Disability Blog Posts of 2016 (Part 6)

855 words
7 minute read

Part 1 / Part 2 / Part 3 / Part 4 / Part 5

Today, we have a post from Jess, two from K, one from Vilissa and one from Kathleen.  I have loved sharing these with you guys and I hope you're gaining some insight from these great blog posts.  I know I have.  Tune in tomorrow for the final part of Great Disability Blog Posts of 2016:

the courage to listen by Jess at A Diary of a Mom

When a member of the community being hurt by what was intended as kindness says, “This hurts us,” shouting, “But it’s meant to be kind!” is not particularly helpful. - Jess

A great blog post by Jess about a conversation that is frequently had in advocacy circles.  To me, it reads as how ableism frequently masquerades as "niceness" and that when a group of people (disabled people) speak out and say "This is hurtful" people often say, "But we're trying to be nice!"  Very often, we, the oppressed group, go away from these kinds of conversations feeling like other people's feelings matter more than our safety, than our dignity, even, at times, than our lives.  Read this please.

[Image is: a curb with autumn leaves beside it.  What does a curb have to do with these posts.  Read K's below to find out.]


THE FIELD TRIP FIASCO: When everything ISN'T fine, but one person makes all the difference by K at Transcending CP

That night, I went back to my dorm room and sobbed into my pillow. I had held it together all day and I just couldn't anymore. It was yet another reality check that I am living in a world that wasn't built for people like me, a world where simple, everyday structures like stairs and cement curbs make my heart race and simple assurances like "it will be fine" from a physical therapist simply aren't enough. - K

One of my most favorite posts this year was written by K, doing what (I think) she does best: bringing her blog audience into our world.  This time, K shares about a field trip she went on, where she advocated for herself in advance about possible difficulties and was reassured by her professor (also a physical therapist) that it would be fine.  Needless to say, it was not.  K does such a fabulous job detailing the intricacies of instances like this, when one person's idea of accessibility and accommodations simply does not fit what we need.  This post is so much more than that, though, because it details just how you can be there as an ally, a friend or a family member, if you see us struggling.

The Nightmare Before Christmas: ESCALATORS and My Terrifying Weekend Experience by K at Transcending CP

I put my left foot first.

My right foot didn't follow.

My legs were tangled, going in two different directions as the escalator proceeded down, ready or not.

"HELP," was all I could manage to say. - K

I have never ridden an escalator and this recent post by K makes me so glad!  Another example of how seemingly innocuous things are not in the least when you have CP (and how quick thinking really can save the day!)

There Is No Such Thing As Transcending Disability by Vilissa at Ramp Your Voice!

I can never transcend disability because there is nothing to transcend from.  

To “transcend” means to “be or go beyond the range or limits of (something abstract).”

I cannot transcend disability; instead I can transcend from the ableism, discrimination, and stereotypes that are associated with being disabled.  - Vilissa

As someone who also embraces identity first language, but didn't always, I really appreciate this post by Vilissa.  I wanted to include it because I think it's important to show that not all people with disabilities are the same.  I feel this post in my soul.

Thoughts on the Sagamihara Massacre and Ableism by Kathleen at The Squeaky Wheelchair

Being disabled takes courage. But it’s not the kind of courage with which the world is comfortable. It doesn’t come neatly packaged with “heartwarming” YouTube videos or “touching headlines.” It is quiet, but fierce. It grows and grows inside of you until one day, you join the rebellion that is loving yourself in places and spaces that don’t always love you back. - Kathleen

2016 was also the year of the worst hate crime (that I can recall) perpetrated upon disabled people.  I have not been able to write about this myself, but Kathleen's words echo those I would write if I could.  If you did not know about this terrible act of violent ableism, read this post.  We must make the world a better place than one where people who are different are targets like this.  Being informed is a great start.  Reading Kathleen's post is a great way to do that.

***

Did you read these posts?  Which was your favorite?  Did you learn anything you didn't know before?  Let me know in the comments.  And/or be sure to let Jess, K, Vilissa and Kathleen to let them know your thoughts on what they wrote.

***

Don't forget to connect on Facebook / Twitter / Instagram



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment. I always love hearing from people. :)