Friday, January 3, 2020

Finding Joy and Purpose While Disabled

337 words
3 minute read

It's taken most of my life to wrap my head around the reality that my worth does not lie in my productivity.  Often, through the years, I've been bombarded with ableist messages coming from everywhere I look:

"You never DO anything!"

"Aren't you going anywhere on vacation?  Just staying home isn't fun!"

"There's more to life than the four walls of your apartment!"

The key, for me, was found in cutting ties with toxic people and instead surrounding myself with those who were "safe enough."

Nondisabled society especially, embraces the belief that in order to live a worthy life - a purposeful life - a life with joy?  We must be constantly in motion.

Disabled culture, in many ways, is different:

There is so much joy in rest!  In surrounding yourself with whatever safe things and people you can!  Joy and purpose can be found in our hobbies, in our time with loved ones, in watching a favorite show or listening to music we love.

May we resist nondisabled logic that tells us we can't have joy or purpose because our lives look different from theirs.

We make our own joy in this life.

So start small.

What makes you smile?  Revel in these things!  (If you haven't found your thing yet, browse Netflix, chat online with disabled friends, cuddle your stuffed animals, smell a candle.)  You can start anywhere to cultivate joy.

You are here for a purpose.  Whenever you intentionally decide to prioritize your safety, listen to a friend, help someone else, share your joy, or a hobby you love?  That all matters.

Our worth does not lie in what we can do.  It lies in who we are.

Surround yourself with people who love you for you.  (Trust me, we're out there.)  And you will be okay.

On Christmas morning, I got a stuffed Stitch...and I was super happy about it.

Sound off in the comments disabled friends:

What gives you joy?

What's your purpose?

***

Don't forget to connect on Facebook / Twitter / Instagram


2 comments:

  1. Love this post! <3 What gives me joy, in no particular order:
    Chocolate, cuddling dogs, SMELLING CHRISTMAS TREES (have you figured out who I am yet? ;)), cozying up with a good story, writing, chatting with friends who "get it," helping other people, playing piano, sending and decorating snail mail, receiving snail mail, Netflixing (especially with yummy snacks at hand!), listening to audiobooks...and reading blog posts that resonate. :)

    Love you and all that you are! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The SMELLING CHRISTMAS TREES gave it away <3

      Love YOU and all that you are <3

      Delete

Please feel free to leave a comment. I always love hearing from people. :)