Monday, January 20, 2020

We Belong: Chapter 3

468 words
4 minute read

TERRIBLE THINGS
(Lexie)

I’m pretty sure Jesse jinxed us.

Later that night, after supper and watching a movie on our I-Pad, Mom, Dad and Jesse come into my room.  My bed is moved in, and my clothes, but not much else.  It’s probably the only time ever my room will be this clean.  Maybe I should take a picture of it.  I’m okay with it being small, if it’s just me that lives in it.

“Jess, Lex,” Mom says, sitting down next to me on my bed.  Dad and Jesse are on it, too.  I think for one second what if we break it?  Then I might have to sleep in the boys’ room.  That would be terrible!

“What?” Jesse asks warily.

“You’re not in trouble,” she smiles.  “But your dad and I need to tell you something.  Do you remember the last time we went to Children’s?”

We nod.  Children’s is Children’s Hospital where Jesse and I have to go sometimes so that doctors can do lots of tests on us to see how our CP is.  They stick stuff on us and watch us walk.  It doesn’t hurt but it takes forever, and we don’t like it much.  Sometimes we need to get braces made for our legs.  Luckily that didn’t happen last time.

“Well, you guys are going to be having surgery.”

Jesse and I look at each other.  “When?” we ask together.  That happens when you’re twins sometimes.

“In a couple of weeks.  On June 25th.”

I look over at my calendar of funny cats.  Today is June 11th. June 25th is exactly 14 days away!

[Image: Cartoon cats teach each other math]

I grab my favorite stuffed animal, a rabbit named Mr. Hopps, and cuddle him to my chest.  I’ve had him ever since I was four and had my first surgery I can remember.  I had other surgeries, too, when I was five and seven.  I was hoping to never need another one.  But Mr. Hopps comes with me every time and makes me brave.

Jesse takes my hand.  “Both of us?”

Jesse has only had one surgery when he was three.  He doesn’t remember anything except the scary noise the machine made taking off his cast when his leg was all better.

I see Mom and Dad nod yes to Jesse's question.

We are both having surgery at the same time.

I swallow and try to hear everything Mom says, but all I can think is: my whole summer is ruined.





Questions for Discussion:

Were you ever told you had to have surgery like Lexie and Jesse?  How did you feel?

Would you rather have surgery along with someone else?  Why or why not?

***

Don't forget to connect on Facebook / Twitter / Instagram


2 comments:

  1. I'm glad they will have each other for support during and after surgery and everything leading up to.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment. I always love hearing from people. :)