Monday, May 4, 2020

We Belong: Chapter 18

353 words
3 minute read

GOING HOME
(Lexie)

Before we leave the hospital, Annette and Evan sign shirts for us.  They take pictures with us, too.  It’s weird, but I will really miss them.  I remember the night when Annette sneaked me a blue raspberry popsicle and spent her break watching an episode of Daniel Tiger’s Neighborhood with me, and told me all about how much her little niece loved that show.
It’s been seven whole days, and it feels like the entire world has changed.  It’s July now.  The sun hurts my eyes because I haven’t had to see it in so long.

[Image: An empty road under a bright sun]

Riding in the car hurts.  Getting carried in the house by Dad hurts.  Grandma and Grandpa and Seth are gone.  They moved Seth into my room and me into the big room with Jesse just while we recover.  It’s weird.  It’s everything I wanted, but not how I wanted it at all.
Now, we don’t have the energy to talk.
We’re unpacking when I realize something.
“Jesse, did you bring Mr. Hopps home?” I ask.
“I thought you had him, since I had Carrot Breath,” he says, his eyes wide.
“No…” My eyes fill.  I think about Mr. Hopps all alone in the hospital without us.  
“Dad,” Jesse calls.  “Lexie forgot Mr. Hopps!”
I’m too upset to say that it was Jesse who forgot him, not me.  I gave him to Jesse to take care of while we were in the hospital, and look what happened.
“I’ll make some calls.  Don’t worry, Lexie Lou.  He probably just hopped down to the cafeteria.  Coffee’s really bad down there, but he doesn’t know that yet.  He’ll be home before you know it.”


Return to the Table of Contents


Questions for Discussion:

Lexie and Jesse get to share the bigger room while they recover.  Lexie says, "It's everything I wanted, but not how I wanted it at all."  Have you ever felt like this?

Mr. Hopps got left behind at the hospital.  Has this ever happened to you?


***

Don't forget to connect on Facebook / Twitter / Instagram

4 comments:

  1. Oh no!! I hope they get Mr. Hopps back home soon! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I have felt the "Everything I ever wanted" feeling and given it to characters.

    And, yes, I have left toys and books and special things behind.

    Such a letdown to have the bigger room - in these circumstances. ANd I have a feeling they may feel guilty about depriving Seth?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a feeling who might feel guilty about depriving Seth?

      Delete

Please feel free to leave a comment. I always love hearing from people. :)