Tuesday, October 13, 2020

Books I've Read in 2020: 96-100

833 words
6 minute read
 
96.

Genre: Middle Grade Fiction

Disability Representation: Yes, diabetes

Rating: 3/4 (Really liked it!)

Excerpt of GoodReads Summary: When Stoneybrook is paralyzed by a massive blizzard, Dawn and her mother get stranded at the airport, Jessi is snowed in at her dance school, and Kristy's boyfriend gets stuck overnight at her house. Claudia, Mary Anne and Mallory are all baby-sitting, but no one has heard from Stacey--could she be trapped somewhere on the way back from the mall?

What I Thought: It's been years since I read this, and I found myself enjoying it almost as much as I had as a teenager.  Particularly, reading about Stacey stranded in the car, Dawn at the airport and Mary Anne and Mal at her house were super interesting.  Glad I reread this one!

***

97.

Genre: Children's Fiction

Disability Representation: No.

Rating: 1/4 (It was OK)

Excerpt of GoodReads Summary: Meet the World’s Funniest Kindergartner—Junie B. Jones! February 14—Valentime’s Day, as Junie B. calls it—is just around the corner. Junie B. can’t wait to see all the valentimes she’ll get. But she never expected a big, mushy card from a secret admirer! Who is this secret mystery guy, anyway? Junie B. is determined to find out.

What I Thought: I wasn't a super fan of this one, especially the notion being perpetuated (that if someone is mean to you, that means they like you.)  It gives kids entirely unhealthy ideas about relationships.  So, while I love Junie B. I did not love this book.

***

98.

Genre: Children's Fiction

Disability Representation: No.

Rating: 2/4 (I liked it!)

Excerpt of GoodReads Summary: It's almost the end of the school year, and Room Nine is taking a field trip to a farm! There's lots of fun farm stuff there. Like a real actual barn. And a real actual farmer. There's even real alive animals you can pet! Only, where's the gift shop? That's what Junie B. Jones would like to know. Surely no one would want Junie B. to go home empty-handed. . . . 

What I Thought: This one was pretty cute.  I liked that Mrs. and Farmer Flores were on hand to help explain things to Junie B. and ease her fears.

***

99.

Genre: Young Adult

Disability Representation: Yes (trauma, addiction)

Rating: 4/4 Wheels (LOVED it!)

Excerpt of GoodReads Summary:  Sixteen-year-old Bri wants to be one of the greatest rappers of all time. Or at least win her first battle. As the daughter of an underground hip hop legend who died right before he hit big, Bri’s got massive shoes to fill.

But it’s hard to get your come up when you’re labeled a hoodlum at school, and your fridge at home is empty after your mom loses her job. So Bri pours her anger and frustration into her first song, which goes viral . . . for all the wrong reasons.

What I Thought: I've been eagerly awaiting the opportunity to read this one, and I LOVE that it's set in the same universe as The Hate U Give.  I really enjoyed this book and I felt like Bri was a rare character that "felt" 16.  She made mistakes.  Her first attempts at things were not automatic successes.  She still needed guidance and support from adults in her world (and she got it.)  

I also really appreciated how trauma and addiction were included in this book, as part of certain character's lives, but not as things that necessarily detracted from who they were as people, or overtook them fully.  My favorite thing about this book was the family relationships and how they healed and grew - and how the adults were tuned into Bri's world and what she needed.

My only caveat is a small one - in that I feel like the book could have ended sooner?  The chapter before the final chapter and the epilogue "felt" very much like an ending to me and very satisfying.

But I did love it, and definitely recommend it!

***

100.

Genre: Children's Fiction

Disability Representation: No.

Rating: 4/4 (LOVED it!)

Excerpt of GoodReads Summary: Afternoon kindergarten is having a field day, and Junie B. Jones is team captain! Only, here's the problem. Room Eight keeps on winning too many events. And so how will Room Nine ever become the kindergarten champions? As Captain Field Day, will Junie B. find a way to lead her team to victory? Or will it be up to someone else to save the day?

What I Thought: I loved the heck out of this book.  What an unexpectedly lovely ending.  (And who DOESN'T love that a character exists in this book named Strong Frankie...?)  I mean, it's pretty dang amazing.  I loved Junie B. learning about captaining and how Mrs. had to model being a good leader, pretty much beginning to end because the kids are five and they don't know how to do things yet.  Such an enjoyable one.  I teared up at the end.

***

Don't forget to connect on Facebook / Twitter / Instagram

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment. I always love hearing from people. :)