Monday, May 3, 2021

'My First Time' 30 Questions Tag

959 words
7 minute read

I'm always on the lookout for new blog post ideas.  I found this one here (and I edited a few so I'd be able to answer all of them.)  

***

First app you check when you wake up in the morning?

Facebook, I think?  

***

First surgery?

I was five days old.  I had heart surgery to close my PDA - a common heart defect in preemies.

***

First foreign country you ever visited?

Canada, when I was eight years old.

***

My first make-up item?

I used to use my mom's roll-on perfume...on my face...when I was eight.

***

My first ever tape or CD?

The first CD I remember choosing for myself was Celine Dion's Falling Into You when I was fourteen.  (A tape I remember buying was the soundtrack to the movie Selena, around age 16.)

***

My first adaptive equipment?

[Image: Tonia, smiling big at 11 months old, in a baby walker, decked out with a sticker that reads SUPER COUPE]

Before my first wheelchair at 7, my first pair of crutches at 6, and my first reverse posture walker at 4, I had this baby walker.  It allowed me to be supported sitting up.  To see things and play with toys.  I used it until I was 3 years old.

***

My first celebrity crush

Dominique Moceanu, honestly.  I had a poster of The Magnificent Seven on my wall, and an autographed picture of her.

***

My first cooking experience?

The first I can think of?  Tara and I and our BFF at the time made our mom a birthday cake when we were eleven.  It looked super sketchy...but we were very proud of it.

***

My first ever friend?

A girl in second grade.  We used to go play at her house.  (Paperboy on Nintendo Entertainment System and we'd eat grilled cheese sandwiches with tuna, which is how her family made them and they were so delicious.)

***

My first ever mobile phone?

Would you believe I was 25?  It was a flip phone with a purple case.

***

My first fear?

Anything medical.  There are notes from doctors appointments I had at age 2 (a year after finally being released from the hospital) where I fought a doctor so hard that they were unable to complete their tests.)

***

My first internet activity?

At camp with my disabled friends.  We looked up things related to bathroom humor - because we were like 13.  We got internet in our house at age 17.  I used it exclusively for email and to print out full page pictures of Dominique Moceanu.

***

My first job?

Babysitting at age 11.

***

My first language?

English.  (I studied German for a year in middle school, and Spanish all four years in high school.)

***

First experience in choir?

I was in church choir at 9 years old.  I liked singing, but it was a grownup choir.  The first time singing with kids my age in a choir, I was 11, and it was a revelation.  So much fun.  

***

My first pet?

Until we were 2, Tara and I lived at our grandma's house with our mom.  Grandma had a giant Great Dane named Auggie, who was super big.  He both terrified and intrigued me.

***

My first piercing and when did I get it?

My ears, when I was four.  It was super painful and traumatizing.  

***

My first tattoo?

Probably a stick on one my cousin put on me from a Poptarts box in my 20s.  I've never been a tattoo fan...

***

My first soft toy?

Either a little pink beanbag bunny or an orange and yellow kitten.  (I decided they both wanted to go for a swim in the wading pool when I was 10, and they got ruined.)

***

My first thought today?

"What time is it?"

***

What day is it?

Monday.

***

My first time on a ship?

My aunt and uncle's boat around age 4.

***

The first book I remember reading?

My first favorite book was The Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss.  Thing 1 and Thing 2 were as close to twin representation as I ever saw.

***

The first concert I ever attended?

I saw several Christian singers at age 21.

***

The first film I remember seeing?

Follow That Bird was the first I remember seeing in the theater at 4.  I saw it maybe three or four times.

***

The first person I talked to today?

Tara.

***

The first text I sent today?

A message to one of my close friends.

***

The first thing I do every morning?

Check my phone.

***

The first thing I do when I get home?

Take off my bra.  So uncomfortable!

***

The first time you ever tried alcohol?

I was 22, and got pressured into having blush wine with a friend while out to eat, since she was also feeling like wine.  I had two sips.  My lips and tongue got numb.  My CP gait felt super loose.  I felt so spacey.  I've never taken another drink, as I was not comfortable taking the first two.  In fact, I've always regretted it.

***

When did you go to your first party?

I went to a classmate's birthday party when I was 6.  We all played Pin The Tail On The Donkey and I heard: "AND THE WINNER IS...TONIA!"

I was not happy at all.  

In fact I was concerned / traumatized because everyone was staring at me, and I felt SURE that I the game had been "fixed" so I'd win...and I had no way of really knowing if my win was legitimate because I'd been blindfolded.

***

Don't forget to connect on Facebook / Twitter / Instagram


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment. I always love hearing from people. :)