Sunday, December 20, 2020

My Thoughts on Ali Stroker in 'Christmas Ever After'

324 words
3 minute read

Well, friends, it finally happened!

I was able to enjoy Ali Stroker in her Lifetime movie, 'Christmas Ever After,' thanks to Amazon Prime.

It's late and I don't want to super spoil people regarding the plot, but I will say I was not disappointed.

[Image: Ali Stroker and Daniel Di Tomasso pose in the snow on the cover of Christmas Ever After]

Seeing a disabled actress with top billing in a movie was incredible.  But even more incredible was seeing all the things about disability culture just seamlessly included: I had never seen hand controls on TV or a disabled person driving, I loved the low seating, the low bed, and how Ali's character, Izzi, was a full-fledged character in her own right.


As a writer, I loved all the writer vibes and Izzi advising and encouraging a young writer.  And that she had tips for how to help out Matt (the male lead) with his bowling game.  This is a pivotal moment for Izzi - realizing "We help each other!" (so much disabled culture alluded to in just that one line...) as she realizes what she needs to do to make her male protagonist more human and less "perfect."

My only caveat is a small one.  I do wish they had found a way to at least mention disability?  I realize this is probably the result when an authentically disabled actress is cast in an originally nondisabled role.  As it stands, it could imply some shame or make disability seem a bit unspeakable.

But overall?  Really good representation.  The romancey holiday movies are not usually my thing, but I'm glad to have checked this one out.  It definitely greased the wheels (pun emphatically intended) for some really good conversations about disability and relationships.

...And I'm definitely using "go for a push" now.

***

ETA: As of 2021, Ali Stroker has also written her debut middle grade novel: The Chance to Fly.

***

Don't forget to connect on Facebook / Twitter / Instagram


2 comments:

  1. I loved watching this toooo! <3 Completely agree with all of your comments. (And "go for a push" was awesome, haha)

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment. I always love hearing from people. :)