Thursday, December 31, 2020

Top 10 Posts From 2020

641 words
5 minute read

2020 has been a lot.

A lot of pain.  A lot of heartache.  An unfathomable amount of carelessness.  Of selfishness.  Of loss.  

It's also been a lot of coping.  A lot of adapting.  A lot of supporting and loving and being thankfulIt's been the year I way surpassed my original reading goal of 40 books...and managed to read 118.

[The year 2020 can be seen in gold, in front of a dark sky with fireworks going off around it]


I've also written more blog posts this year than any other.  110 to be exact.  So I wanted to take this opportunity to countdown the Top 10 (Most Viewed) Posts from 2020:

***

10.  What Choking Has To Do With CP and Hormones - This one surprised me by making the list.  Just a small response to a parent blog post I happened to see last winter.

***

9.  Please Keep Your Germy Mail - Love, Your High Risk Family and Friends - Honestly, it makes me angry that there was a need for a post like this in the first place, and madder still that it's in my top ten for the year.  This is just plain basic human decency.

***

8.  My Thoughts on Bringing Together Parents of Kids with Disabilities and Disabled Adults - People love to talk about bringing together nondisabled parents and adults with disabilities but the truth is, it's more complicated than it seems.

***

7.  When Accessing Basic Needs Is Anything But Basic - I put it all out there in this post.  I worked on this for a year.  Possibly the most important thing I've written yet.  If you don't read any other posts, please read this.

***

6.  Why Christopher Diaz's Skateboarding Fall is Important Representation for Kids with CP - This post took a lot of time and a lot of work to complete so I am really glad it's being seen.  I still feel like this episode in particular is really important - not necessarily for the end - but for the representation of how important parent-involvement is - and what message parents give to their kids.

***

5.  Summer Blog Series 2020: When Nondisabled Parents Focus On Milestones - This is the fourth post in our summer blog series on CP and Therapy.  Tara and I worked on it together and I'm so glad that this post in particular is being read.  I don't think it can be overstated how important it is.

***

4.  Summer Series 2020: When Everything Is Therapy - Tara and I really have wanted the opportunity to unpack and share some truths about CP and therapy.  Our summer blog series gave us the chance to do that.  I'm so glad to know that the first post in our series is being seen as much as it is.

***

3.  What Is a Capacity Shift and How Does It Relate to Disability? - Tara and I wrote quite a bit together this year, and it makes me so happy to know that this post in particular made the rounds as much as it has.  Because capacity shift is so rarely understood.

***

2.  We Belong (a middle grade novel) - I finished my first middle grade novel this year, about 9-year-old twins with CP who face moving and more.  I'm not going to lie, it makes me really happy that it's been viewed as much as it has.

***

1.  The Bed Thing - This was wholly unexpected.  It was a post I'd written that was really just for me, to try to process a thing that happened to me as a child.  I guess it resonated.

***


Did your favorite post of 2020 make the list?  Let me know in the comments.  

I hope you'll stick around in 2021, I have a lot of cool stuff planned!

***

Don't forget to connect on Facebook / Twitter / Instagram


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment. I always love hearing from people. :)