Monday, December 14, 2020

What Choking Has To Do With CP and Hormones

395 words
3 minute read

Last year, I came across this post: The Choking Scare and the Responsibility We Parents Shoulder.  It occurred to me, as with many topics related to CP, I'd never read anything cohesive about the correlation between CP, hormones and the increased possibility of choking.

While the majority of this post is going to focus on my own experience as a person with a period and CP, the post I linked above seems to indicate a similar issue could be present for people without periods dealing with hormonal shifts as well.

I can't locate the post right now, but it's eye-opening and short.  (It's also specific to periods.)  The essence of the post is this: When people with periods are educated about periods, we are not often told that any coexisting conditions we have will be worse during that time - you may also notice increased spasticity or pain.

(It's worth stating here that I have no professional medical knowledge.  Just trying to raise awareness of a thing that I haven't seen talked about anywhere else yet...)

This was an eye-opener for me.  I've been able to connect many Invisible Aspects of CP back to any number of causes.  But the choking was a new one for me...until I realized that, especially around a certain time of the month, I (who can usually manage to eat and drink without an issue) was having increased moments of swallowing water wrong, and even choking on food.

Last year, I memorably choked pretty spectacularly while eating baby carrots.  All the more alarming because I was home by myself at the time.

[Image: Baby carrots on a plate]

The most we can do at these times is be aware.

Be aware that it's a thing.

Now that I am, I do my best to eat and drink really slowly while I'm hormonal.  I chew everything really well (even as I think this is kind of unnecessary or a waste of time.)

It's not, because being able to eat and drink safely is a big deal.

It's absolutely scary knowing that we may be at an increased risk for choking at certain times, but knowledge is power, right?

So, all my CP friends especially, take care when you're hormonal.  Take your time.

Your carrots aren't going to eat themselves.

They'll wait.

***

Don't forget to connect on Facebook / Twitter / Instagram


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment. I always love hearing from people. :)