Monday, February 17, 2020

We Belong: Chapter 7

762 words
6 minute read

SPECIAL THINGS
(Lexie)

If you don’t know, two weeks goes by really fast.  But that only happens if something is going to happen that you don’t want at all.  If you are waiting for your birthday, like Jesse and I were last month?  The days feel like years.

Since I really don’t want to have surgery, the days fly by, and before I know it, it’s the night before we go to the hospital.  I remember this part, sort of.  Some good stuff happens because Mom and Dad don’t want us getting too scared.

First, Grandma and Grandpa come.  They’re here because someone has to stay with Seth.  Part of me feels angry that Seth never needs surgery, but most of me feels happy he doesn’t.  Surgery isn’t fun, and I wouldn’t want him to have it.  If we have to have it, I’d rather it be that way.  Seth is too little.

We hug Grandma and Grandpa even though we just saw them.  When everyone goes with Grandma to see Seth and Jesse’s room, Grandpa pats me and sits me close to him.  We don’t talk about scary things.  He sings songs with me.  Since everybody else is busy, he gives me a box of candy - my most favorite - Junior Mints.

“There,” he says, tucking them into my shirt pocket.  “You eat these before 7:00 now.  And don’t tell Grandma I gave you these, she’ll say I spoiled your dinner,” he winks.

“I won’t.  Thank you, Grandpa,” I say, giving him a hug.  I’m sure he brought a mini box of Reese’s Pieces for Jesse, too.  In another quiet moment, Grandpa will give Jesse his candy.  He’s a private person, but very caring.

“Now, what did you and Jesse pick out for dinner?” Grandpa asks.

Another good thing that happens is that Jesse and I pick what we want to eat all day long.  That’s because the night before surgery, we can’t have anything to eat.  Not even a snack.  Then, the next morning, no breakfast either.  Picking what we want for all the meals is a way we can control what happens when we can’t control what’s going to happen to our bodies.

For breakfast, Jesse picked pancakes and sausage.  I picked sandwiches and pickle slices and chips for lunch.  For supper, Jesse and I both picked pizza from our favorite take out place.  I tell Grandpa and he says “That’s nice.”  (That’s his way of being polite.  I don’t think Grandpa likes pizza that much.)


[Image: A plain cheese pizza with a stuffed crust]


Before supper, Jesse whispers to me.  I come into his room and jump when I see Grandma at his top dresser drawer.

“Grandma.  What’s going on?” I say, laughing, even though my heart is beating a lot.

She nods to Jesse and he moves closer to her.  So do I.  We’re so confused when she turns away from us and to her suitcase.  It’s big and brown.  She can fit a ton of stuff in there.

Grandma unzips the suitcase and opens it on the bed.

“Now,” she says, reaching inside it, and pulling out a giant Ziploc bag.  It is full of candy and bubblegum.  You keep this in your top drawer here,” she tells Jesse.  “Where Seth can’t get at it.”

“Wow!  Thanks, Grandma!” he says.  He starts dividing the candy - half for me and half for him - when Grandma pulls out another Ziploc bag.  It’s full, too.

“You didn’t think I’d forget about you, did you?” She smiles.  It makes her whole face softer.

“No,” I say, and I didn’t.  Grandma never forgets me.

“Now don’t tell your grandpa I gave you these.  He’ll get after me for spoiling your dinner,” she says.

“I promise,” I smile.

“I promise,” Jesse echoes.  “Here, Lexie, I’ll put your candy away so Seth doesn’t see it,” he offers, lifting his shirt and hiding it underneath.

A thought occurs to me.  He’s about to open my top dresser drawer.  “Don’t look at my underwear!”

“Gross!  Never in a million years!” he laughs.




Questions for Discussion:

Lexie feels kind of mad and kind of glad that Seth does not need surgery like her and Jesse do.  Have you ever felt two different feelings at the same time like Lexie?

Jesse and Lexie get to pick what they eat all day long!  If you got to pick the menu for a day in your house, what would you pick to eat?


***

Don't forget to connect on Facebook / Twitter / Instagram


4 comments:

  1. Do Jesse and Lexielike to share choices? (jessie picks breakfast Lexi picks lunch and they choose dinner together) because of their twins or do they sometimes wish for their own separate choices and not having to share?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great question! I'll answer it today on FB Live!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Time is so funny that way, Lexie.

    I feel ambivalent about climate change ...

    last week I read about the atlas of emotions wi th Ekmans from a site called Critical Thinking dot org. it talked about shades of fear; disgust; joy; anger and sadness.

    If I picked the menu in my house I would have soup for breakfast; salads for lunch; a meat or a grain meal with fruit or an ice cream cake for dinner/tea. I would drink water or juices or smoothies or milkshakes. For treat food I would have at least one international cuisine - lotus roots or yakitori.

    There would be a barbecue or cookout at least once a month and cake and a warm drink. There would also be a smorgasbord.

    Meal planning with room for spontaneity and innovation would be the general tenor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you! I'm a pretty predictable eater, as well!

      Delete

Please feel free to leave a comment. I always love hearing from people. :)