Monday, February 24, 2020

We Belong: Chapter 8

538 words
4 minute read

PLAYING AT THE PARK
(Lexie)

The pizza is plain cheese and it’s the best I ever had.  We have some dessert pizza, too, because Jesse and I asked if we could.

After, we go for a family bike ride, because it will be a while before Jesse and I can do that again.  We ride in a line, Dad first, then Jesse, then Seth, then me, and last Mom.  They like to have all of us between them so they can know where all of us are.

We’re not allowed to ride our bikes without helmets.  My bike is pink and my helmet is, too.  It has little yellow hearts on it.  Jesse’s bike is black and his helmet is black, too, with a fire design.  Seth has a green helmet and a green bike.  He says it’s because when he grows up he is turning into The Hulk.  He’s so weird.

We ride far, all together, and before we go home, we stop at the park.  Jesse and I want to play, but I realize my walker and my crutches are at home.  I can’t play.  Sitting still on the bike will be hard and I hope I won’t fall.

Just then, Mom comes and helps me down.  She takes my hand and walks with me.  “What should we do first?” she asks, going my speed, so I can keep up.

“Swings?” I say.  It’s hard to talk and walk at the same time.  My legs think they have to help me talk, and the muscles get all tight.  I wonder if they won’t do that after tomorrow.

[Image: Two empty swings at a park]


We get there, and Mom helps me on one swing.  Jesse gets on the one next to it.  Dad puts Seth in the baby swing, even though he’s almost too big for it.  Mom pushes me, and Dad goes back and forth between Seth and Jesse.  (Jesse can push himself, and so can I, but it’s nice to feel your parents behind you sometimes.)

“When Grandpa pushes, he sings to us…” Jesse says into the wind.

“We should have brought Grandpa…” Mom says behind me.

But Dad starts singing Christmas carols loud enough for the whole playground to hear.  I’m glad we’re the only ones here right now.  Dad does Frosty the Snowman, and Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer, and ends with Jolly Old St. Nicholas.

"It's summer, Dad!" Jesse protests, laughing.

"Yeah!  Summer, Dad!" Seth echoes.

"Yeah!  This is no time for Christmas songs," I joke, giggling, too.

Dad just keeps right on singing.  It's his favorite way to make us happy.

I sing along.  I love to sing.  It’s one of my favorite things.  Jesse, Mom and Seth do, too.

Then, it’s time to go back.




Questions for Discussion:

Lexie's mom helps her play at the park when she doesn't have her crutches.  Have you ever helped someone else when they needed it?  (There are lots of ways to help other people.)

Singing is Lexie and Jesse's dad's favorite way to make them happy.  What is your favorite way to make people happy?


***

Don't forget to connect on Facebook / Twitter / Instagram


2 comments:

Please feel free to leave a comment. I always love hearing from people. :)