Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Books I've Read in 2020: 16-20

476 words
4 minute read

16.

Genre: Disability Fiction

Disability Representation: Yes (chronic / terminal lung disease and PTSD)

Rating: 4/4 Wheels

Summary:  History is a tricky thing. Siblings Pearl and Levi West had entirely different childhoods. Levi knew their father, while Pearl was left by him as a small child. Who was Paris West, the man? Find out his story - and all the ways history echoes in the present.

What I Thought: I know it's weird to share my thoughts on my own work, but I really love this story.  And since (at the time of this writing) I'm gearing up to write the next story in the series, I needed to reread this to be caught up.  And it fills something in me, to give a history to characters when so much of my own is a blank.  (You can read the story at the link above.)

17. 

Genre: Children's

Disability Representation: No.

Rating: 2/4 Wheels

Excerpt of GoodReads Summary:  
Dorrie has a great time at the Bazaar until her mother disappears, and it turns out that the prankster Wink the Wizard is to blame.

What I Thought: This was an unexpected joy to hear (read by Kirsten Vangsness and interpreted by Josh Castille for #OperationASLStorytime.)  Definitely not a book I'd have ever checked out, but fun and quirky.  I keep thinking about the witch being transformed into the last thing she looked at, and that Dorrie kept looking for mother, and kept fearing that she got turned into tea and "drank herself."

18. 

Genre: Children's

Disability Representation: No.

Rating: 3/4 Wheels

Excerpt of GoodReads Summary: Both spirited and soothing, this bedtime read-aloud story is the perfect preface for a trip to dreamland.

What I Thought: This was a random find for the inner children and it was so sweet and soothing.  I enjoyed it so much.

19. 

Genre: Children's > Picture Books

Disability Representation: No.

Rating: 4/4 Wheels

Excerpt of GoodReads Summary:  
An entertaining picture book that teaches the importance of asking for permission first as a young girl attempts to escape the curious hands that want to touch her hair.

What I Thought:
 Found this book via Karen Quinones reading it for #OperationASLStorytime. It's so engaging and really drives home how important consent is.  Great book!

20.  

Genre: Children's > Picture Books

Disability Representation: No.

Rating: 4/4 Wheels

Excerpt of GoodReads Summary:  Max, a wild and naughty boy, is sent to bed without his supper by his exhausted mother. In his room, he imagines sailing far away to a land of Wild Things. Instead of eating him, the Wild Things make Max their king.

What I Thought:
 Found this book via Shoshannah Stern reading it for #OperationASLStorytime.  This one always takes me right back to being read to by my first grade teacher.  Classic.  Love it.


***

Don't forget to connect on Facebook / Twitter / Instagram


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment. I always love hearing from people. :)