Monday, April 13, 2020

We Belong: Chapter 15

297 words
2 minute read

THERAPY OR PLAYING?
(Lexie)

Even when Annette suggests we go play in the playroom, I’m not so sure if it’s therapy or playing.  It doesn’t feel like playing because we can’t reach any toys.  I want to play video games, but we have to share them there and a bigger boy with a huge cast on, from his waist to his toes, playing right now. 

Our casts only go up to our knees.  Dad signed mine: To my favorite daughter, Lexie.  Love, Dad.  He always says that and I tell him “I’m your only daughter!”  This time, I just smiled and went to sleep.  Mom signed Seth’s name on my left big toe.  That was funny.  She signed my other cast with lots of different colored markers and drew a butterfly to add color.  That's because right now, our casts are plain white.  Boring city.

Jesse and I mostly just look at each other in the playroom.  I think we both wish we could go back to sleep.  Everything makes me feel tired and I have zero energy left ever.  The only thing I can do is watch one episode of Seth’s favorite TV show, and those only last 15 minutes.  Even looking at all their tropical fish here makes me want to take a nap.  I wonder if I’ll ever have the energy to play again.

[Image: A yellow tropical fish in an aquarium, facing the glass]



Questions for Discussion:

Have you ever felt confused like Lexie, wondering if something was therapy or playing?

Lexie's mom drew on her cast and signed Seth's name on her big toe.  Have you had a cast?  Who signed it your favorite way?

***

Don't forget to connect on Facebook / Twitter / Instagram

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment. I always love hearing from people. :)