Monday, April 6, 2020

We Belong: Chapter 14

527 words
4 minute read

NOTHING TO FIX
(Lexie)

Here is what is confusing about having surgery when you have CP:

Everything.

A kid in my class in third grade broke his leg on a snowmobile ride.  He came to school in a cast.  That’s the first time I learned that most people have surgery because they get hurt.  They break a bone and need surgery to fix it and make it better again so they can do all the things they did before.

But Jesse and I were fine before.  None of our bones were broken.  Nothing had to be fixed.  In our case, the surgeons do the hurting, in hopes that when we heal, we’ll be able to have an easier time walking later on.  I had an easy time walking already, so I don’t get why I needed surgery in the first place.

I’m glad I am not at school this time.  Sometimes, the kids in my class thought I was going to be able to walk like them after surgery.  Mostly, I just came back with new scars I didn’t have before.

After only a little time resting after surgery, the nurses take us down for therapy.  I hate this part.  Mom encourages me to have a good attitude, but it is really hard.

The room where you get therapy has mats and big balls and parallel bars.  Nobody else is in there except Jesse and me and the therapists.

They make us lie down on mats, first on our backs.  They move our legs a very little bit, and it hurts more than anything so far.

When we flip onto our tummies, the therapist gives me a baby toy to play with.  I don’t even care she’s treating me like a baby.  I play with that toy, because anything that distracts me is a good thing.

[Image: A stuffed toy butterfly baby toy]

When I have to stand up for the very first time, I feel like I am so dizzy I’m going to fall over.  I hang onto the parallel bars tight but I have no strength left, it seems like.  I’m skinnier than usual, and all my body shakes from trying so hard.

Up until now, I kind of thought Jesse was making a big deal out of this.  He’s cried a few times and says it hurts a lot.  One of his legs got most of the surgery.  His other one just got a little bit.  Both of mine got a lot, but mine don’t hurt that much.  My medicine in the I.V. must’ve been super strength.  When we get back to the room, I am too exhausted to eat.

I fall asleep wishing I could hold Jesse’s hand.




Questions for Discussion:

Mom tells Lexie and Jesse to have a good attitude when they are getting therapy.  What would you tell Jesse and Lexie?

Lexie does not mind being given a baby toy because it distracts her from how much therapy hurts.  Do you think Lexie minds being treated like baby other times?  Why or why not?


***

Don't forget to connect on Facebook / Twitter / Instagram


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment. I always love hearing from people. :)