Friday, December 31, 2021

Top 10 Posts From 2021

778 words
6 minute read

2021 has been very different.  

And it's been very much the same.

We are still quarantining, for example.  I'm still writing.  Still reading.  Still watching shows.

But...

We also got new leadership this year.  We got vaccinated.  I've been trying to break new ground with the fiction I write, and persevere despite the negative feedback.

And as I have off and on since I started this blog, I like to take a look back and see which posts resonated with readers.  So here are my Top 10 (Most Viewed) Posts from 2021:

[2021 can be seen in purple over the top of fireworks]

***

10.  10 Things To Know When Getting Vaccinated With CP (June, 2021) - This summer, after taking a few days to recover from the gnarly Moderna vaccine, I wrote this post without much forethought.  The only thing on my mind was that the vaccines were (and still are) so new that I was sure there were people out there wondering about getting vaccines for themselves or their loved ones with CP.  I'm glad this post made the list this year.  Definitely important.

***

9.  When CP Leads to Falling and Falling Triggers Past Trauma (September, 2021) - If you've been here for any length of time you know how much I love tackling tough topics via conversation posts with my sister. This one was no exception.  I'm always down to discuss issues I don't see talked about much, and this was definitely one of those!

***

8. How Unrealistic IEP Goals Put Me in Danger as a Disabled Child (April, 2021) - This post was cobbled together from a post on my private blog and something I wrote years ago and only showed one other person.  But ever since 2020, I've decided to speak out about some of the things I've kept quiet about for years.  The abuse I endured as a child is one of those things.  Disabled children are not exempt from maltreatment.  In fact, we are more at risk than most...

***

7. Disabled People, Our Right to Life Exists Even When We're 'Noncompliant' (February, 2021) - Sometimes, a post just springs out of me.  And one night, after being gobsmacked at a comments section that began with a well-meaning discussion question and then devolved, I knew I had to address some things.

***

6. When My Ableist Teacher Used My Report Card to Praise My Parents (May, 2021) - If you know me, you know I keep everything relevant.  And occasionally, I sort through all the things I've amassed.  So, when I found an old report card from the fourth grade -- and saw what was written on it -- I knew I had to blog about it.  Especially, as it's a thing that still happens today.

 ***

5. Medical Trauma and CP (October, 2021) After reading one too many posts by nondisabled parents who claim that their child with CP "got over their trauma from X medical procedure with no anesthesia really fast" and seeing a series of deeply disturbing photos of a child with CP enduring such an (unnecessary) medical intervention, this post was born.  I put a lot of myself into this one -- especially because I've never read anything else on the subject.  I'm really glad it's in the Top 10.

***

4.  Let's Talk About Cerebral Palsy and High Pain Tolerance (November, 2021) - Along the same lines of the above post, I think, there is a lot of erroneous information out there regarding people with CP and our pain tolerance.  I feel like the notion that we have high pain tolerance might be used as a kind of subconscious justification for all manner of invasive unnecessary treatments.

***

3. Things I Want To Tell You, But Can't (March, 2021) - Originally written on a private blog in December, 2016, I wrote this less than a week after the events in question.  With very minimal edits, I made the choice to keep the content the same.  Honestly, I was terrified to post this one and I was shocked by how it was received.

***

2. 10 Things No One Tells You About Aging With CP (March, 2021) - I see the same questions time and time again from both adults with CP and nondisabled parents, regarding aging and CP.  So, I thought I'd make a list.  And it seems it's done pretty well.

***

1. Bridgerton's Rape Scene and How It Connects to Disability (January, 2021) - I was such a fan of the show originally -- but this scene remains one of the most disturbing things I've witnessed -- as well as the majority response to it.


*** 

Don't forget to connect on Facebook / Twitter / Instagram

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment. I always love hearing from people. :)