Monday, March 9, 2020

We Belong - Chapter 10

717 words
6 minute read

GROSS O’CLOCK
(Jesse)

The next morning, when Mom wakes me up, I am super confused.  I’m on the floor, for one thing, and I know for sure I went to sleep in my bed.  I remember Grandpa tossing me in, the funny way he does.  How did I get down here?

“It’s the middle of the night,” I complain and pull my pillow over my head.

“I know it’s early, honey, but we have to get moving.  So get up and put your clothes on, okay?”

Back when Lexie and I were in second grade, we used to sleep in our clothes for the next day, so we would have more time to watch cartoons before we went to school.  I wish Dad hadn’t caught us at that because I would have definitely done that again.  I really want more sleep.

I get my clothes and go in the bathroom, glad to be away from Seth and his teeth-grinding.  That’s when I realize, Grandpa’s in my bed.  I hope someone told him to bring earplugs.  I’m dressed and I dart back into my room and grab Mr. Hopps by an ear.  Lexie would not be happy if I forgot him and I wouldn’t either.

“What time is it?” Lexie whines.

“Gross o’clock,” I answer.  “Don’t look.  It’s still dark out.”

I don’t talk anymore.  Mom says we can sleep in the car, and I want to sleep bad, so I hurry.  I’m already in the back seat of the car, with my head on the window when Lexie gets in.  I know without looking she’s leaning against her window, on the other side of Seth’s car seat.

“Apple pie…” she mutters.

[Image: A hot apple pie]


I almost throw Mr. Hopps at her but then decide that listening to Lexie is a lot more entertaining than listening to Seth.

The drive is forever, but that means more sleep, so I don’t complain.

We get to the hospital and I still feel tired.  Lexie’s in her Batmobile and I kind of wish I had one, too.  I guess I will, soon enough, but it probably won’t be as good as her personal one that fits her perfectly.

After such a long time of Mom and Dad filling out forms, they ask which one of us wants which one of them.  Lexie wants Dad, and I want Mom, so that works out.

Lexie is going to surgery before me, which means I have to wait even longer.  At least I don’t have to go first.  I say bye to her and she makes Carrot Breath wave.

I can hear her telling all the nurses the plot to Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows.  It’s PG-13 but Mom and Dad made an exception and let us see it.  Guess why?  Because when they were growing up, they watched movies about the ninja turtles, too, except lower quality, because it was the ‘90s.

"Mikey sees it's the Halloween parade and says he's always wanted to be in the Halloween parade, because it's the one night of the year when they fit in.  Leo tells him, 'We'll never fit in.  We're ninjas.  We live in the shadows...'

It's the last thing I hear Lexie say before she gets wheeled away. 

I know why it's her favorite part.  Because that's sort of how we feel, having CP.  Like we'll never fit in.

Since the idea of TMNT makes me feel better, I find Out of the Shadows on the I-Pad and watch it with Mom until it’s time for me to go.

“The movie’s not done…” I say, but what I mean is, I’m not ready….

“You can see it when you’re done.  I promise,” Mom says and takes the I-Pad gently out of my hands.  She gives me a kiss and says she and Dad and Lexie will be waiting for me when I come back.




Questions for Discussion:

Did you ever have to get up when it was still dark out?  Were you tired like Lexie and Jesse?

Jesse and Lexie like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Out of the Shadows because they relate to the turtles.  What's your favorite movie and why?


***

Don't forget to connect on Facebook / Twitter / Instagram


2 comments:

  1. I love the light hearted giggles in this one with such a tense topic as surgery. Also love Lexie's batmobile. What would Jesse want to name his mobility device?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, doing my best to keep it light! I'll answer your question tomorrow :) Thank you!

      Delete

Please feel free to leave a comment. I always love hearing from people. :)