Monday, March 2, 2020

We Belong: Chapter 9

705 words
5 minute read

THE NIGHT BEFORE
(Lexie)

When we get home, what I really want to do is watch Wheel of Fortune on TV with Grandma and Grandpa, but we have to pack our stuff for tomorrow and then get to bed.  We have to get up when it’s still dark out tomorrow to go to the hospital.

Mom and Dad pack our regular stuff.  All Jesse and I have to do is decide which stuffed animal we’re taking into surgery with us, and what other toys and blanket we want to bring.  I check the time on my dinosaur alarm clock: 6:43!

Only 17 minutes to eat my Junior Mints!

“Jesse, come here!” I call.

“What?” he asks.

“Did you eat your candy from Grandpa?” I whisper loudly.  It doesn’t matter that much - Seth’s in the living room, shouting letters at the TV with Grandma and Grandpa.

“Oh no!”  He sneaks into my room and closes the door.  Then he reaches in his shirt pocket and takes them out.  “Mmm… Reese’s Pieces are the best,” he moans.

“Uh-uh,” I shake my head.  “Junior Mints.”

“Are you bringing Mr Hopps tomorrow?” Jesse asks.

“Yeah.  Are you bringing Carrot Breath?”

“I can’t decide.  I kind of want to bring Captain America and Green Man…”

“They’re, like, two inches tall!” I exclaim.  Captain America is small and old-fashioned  and Green Man is a tiny green plastic cowboy.  “You’ll lose them in the bed.  You have to bring something bigger than that.”

“Fine.  I was just thinking...like...they’re tough, and can protect me.  All Carrot Breath ever does is eat.”

“Here.  You take Mr. Hopps.  He has lots of practice at being a surgery animal.  He knows just what to do.  I’ll take Carrot Breath and show him what to do.  Plus, it’ll be like we’re with each other then.”

“Okay,” Jesse smiles a little, eating the last of his candy and brushing his hands off.  “I like that idea.  Should I get him now?”

“Nah...Sleep with him tonight.  We’ll switch off tomorrow.”

“Are you sure you’ll remember?  I really want the one with the experience.”

“I won’t forget.”

“Good…  ‘Cause Mom and Dad said I have to sleep in my room tonight.  No staying up late talking.”

My face falls.

“We’ll never be able to sleep then…”

“I know…” Jesse sighs, and then brightens.  “Wait.  Here!”

He disappears for a few seconds and then throws Carrot Breath at me.

“I told you to keep him tonight!” I laugh.

“I’m the oldest, so what I say goes,” he smiles, so I know he’s not being mean, just stating the facts.  “Besides, I want Carrot Breath to get used to you.  Where’s Mr. Hopps?” he asks.

“Here,” I say and start hopping him over to Jesse.  I stop, and cuddle my rabbit, rubbing his nose with mine.  I whisper for him to take good care of Jesse and I tell him I love him.  Then I let him go.

“Okay.  Tell me everything you’re packing,” I say.

“I will.”

[Image: A big brown suitcase with a brown teddy bear halfway in]


Neither one of us talks anymore about tomorrow.  We have to do it no matter what.  Talking won’t help.  Once I’m all packed, I get tucked in by Mom and Dad (normally) and Grandma and Grandpa (Grandpa likes to pretend-toss us into bed.  Grandma prays with us.)

Once they all leave, and the light’s off, my stomach growls.  I look at Carrot Breath in the dark.

“Think we’d get in trouble if you raided the fridge?” I whisper.

Carrot Breath twitches his nose once.  That means, “Absolutely.”

I sigh, and try to count sheep, but they all turn into ice cream sundaes.  When I’m falling asleep, I hope I’ll dream of CandyLand.

You can eat as much imaginary candy as you want before surgery




Questions for Discussion:

Lexie and Jesse bring Mr. Hopps and Carrot Breath to the hospital with them.  When you go to the hospital, what do you bring with you to help you feel better?

Grandma and Grandpa have a special bedtime routine with Lexie and Jesse.  What is your bedtime routine?


***

Don't forget to connect on Facebook / Twitter / Instagram


2 comments:

Please feel free to leave a comment. I always love hearing from people. :)