Monday, March 23, 2020

We Belong: Chapter 12

317 words
2 minute read

WAKING UP
(Jesse)

[Image: A clock shows it is seconds away from 12:00]


When I wake up, it feels like one second has passed since I got that mask on my face.

It hurts so much.  The I.V. in my hand is supposed giving me lots of medicine to make it not hurt.  Maybe it’s broken.

I’m cold and I try to say something, but I can’t again.  I want to see Lexie.  Just to know she’s okay.  I feel like I haven’t seen her in days.  I have no idea what time it is.  Is it still today?

I get to a room and I’m moved onto another bed.  I make a noise, because it hurts so much more now.  I’m glad when all the extra people leave and I’m alone.  I look over, and Lexie is in the other bed, sleeping.  She has two casts.  I have one, with two brand new scars on my other leg, no cast.

“Apple pie…” Lexie moans, and it makes me laugh.  That makes my legs shake and hurt a lot, but I can’t help it.  Her sleep-talking is the funniest.  I almost cry from the pain but I don’t.  I just tell Mom and Dad to make her be quiet.

“Guess I’ll be baking an apple pie…” Dad says softly to Mom.  Mom strokes my forehead and that helps a little.

“I wish this never happened to me…” I say. 

I fall asleep again and dream of nothing.




Questions for Discussion:

Jesse has to ask Mom and Dad for Lexie to stop making him laugh because it made his legs hurt.  Have you ever had to ask for somebody to stop doing something that hurts you?  Did they?

Jesse wishes surgery never happened to him.  Have you ever felt like Jesse?


***

Don't forget to connect on Facebook / Twitter / Instagram


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment. I always love hearing from people. :)