Monday, March 16, 2020

We Belong - Chapter 11

191 words
1 minute read

TIME TO GO
(Jesse)

I can’t talk at all on the way to surgery.  Because of the strange people and also because my mouth is dry.  I don’t know how Lexie found all that stuff to say.  I don’t know how she felt so relaxed.  I don’t.  I hang onto Mr. Hopps really tight.  They put a sticker on him that says my name.  I want to tell them he’s not mine, he’s Lexie’s, but I can’t.

I have to be brave.  Lexie’s done this lots of times.  I take a deep breath to calm down but it doesn’t help.  Soon there is a mask on my face that’s supposed to smell like the orange scent I picked out, but it’s a joke because it only smells like orange barely at all.

[Image: 3 oranges. One is sliced, next to an orange flower.]

I’m the most scared ever, but only for one second, because then my eyes close.




Question for Discussion:

When you're scared, do you get talkative like Lexie or quiet like Jesse?


***

Don't forget to connect on Facebook / Twitter / Instagram

4 comments:

  1. I remember nurses trying to have me talk, asking questions about school and hobbies, and my mouth felt full of clouds and strange.
    PS. Jesse is so very brave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, nothing worked once that mask was on. I so agree, about Jesse <3

      Delete
  2. It depends on of what I'm afraid and what I need to do.

    When I need to think and communication is demanded from me I become silent.

    When I need reassurance or affirmation I become talkative.


    You could say words are my fear language; just the same as we have love/desire/drive languages.


    Another point - pressure of time and space. When I don't ave time or space in a situation I try to be like L and claim it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Another point - pressure of time and space. When I don't ave time or space in a situation I try to be like L and claim it."

      I really love this!

      Delete

Please feel free to leave a comment. I always love hearing from people. :)