Monday, September 14, 2020

We Belong: Chapter 37

300 words
2 minute read

DO YOU LOVE US?
(Lexie)

It’s taken Mom a few minutes to get all settled in a chair between Jesse and me.  Finally, she asks, “What’s up, buttercups?”

By now, I’ve almost lost my courage.  But Jesse hasn’t.

“Lexie wants to know if you’re disappointed in us?” he asks, looking at her like he’s searching her.

Mom blinks.  “What?  With what?”

“With our surgery…” I admit.  “I heard you crying and telling uncle Craig that you just expected more and it’s been so hard…  Mom, we’re working as hard as we can,” I insist.  “I promise.”

“Oh, honey.  I know you are,” Mom says.  “I was talking to uncle Craig about something else.  Something that didn’t have anything to do with you and Jesse.”

“Like what?” I ask, skeptical.

“My friends back home,” Mom tells her, surprising both of us. 

“Your bowling friends?” Jesse asks.

“Right,” Mom nods.  “They haven’t been keeping in touch as much now and that disappointed me.  I expected more from them.  I know you two are always doing your best.”

“Do you love us?” I check.  Sometimes I know Mom does, and sometimes I’m not sure.  So, I have to ask.

[Image: Three decorative hearts - one big and two small]

“I love you both so much, you wouldn’t believe it,” Mom promises, kissing them both on the heads.

I breathe out a big sigh of relief.

“Thanks so much for talking to them,” Mom says to Emma.  “We should have you over sometime,” she invites.

Jesse and I both cheer.


Return to the Table of Contents


Question for Discussion:

Have you ever felt like Lexie?  Like sometimes you know your parent loves you and sometimes you have to check to see if it's true?  


***

Don't forget to connect on Facebook / Twitter / Instagram


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment. I always love hearing from people. :)