Sunday, September 20, 2020

Books I've Read in 2020: 86-90

 566 words

4 minute read


86.


Genre: Children's > Picture Books

Disability Representation: No.

Rating: 4/4 (LOVED it!)

Excerpt of GoodReads Summary: There are many reasons to feel different. Maybe it's how you look or talk, or where you're from; maybe it's what you eat, or something just as random. It's not easy to take those first steps into a place where nobody really knows you yet, but somehow you do it.

What I Thought: WOW!  I loved this one.  If you get a chance you should definitely check it out.  (Available on Bookmarks on Netflix, if you can't get the book another way.)

***

87.

Genre: Children's > Picture Books

Disability Representation: No.

Rating: 2/4 (LOVED it!)

Excerpt of GoodReads Summary: Antiracist Baby introduces the youngest readers and the grown-ups in their lives to the concept and power of antiracism. Providing the language necessary to begin critical conversations at the earliest age, Antiracist Baby is the perfect gift for readers of all ages dedicated to forming a just society.

What I Thought: This was very different.  The messages were really good, though.

***

88.

Genre: Children's > Picture Books

Disability Representation: Yes (one wheelchair-user pictured.)

Rating: 3/4 (Really liked it!)

Excerpt of GoodReads Summary: On August 28, 1963, a remarkable event took place--more than 250,000 people gathered in our nation's capital to participate in the March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom. The march began at the Washington Monument and ended with a rally at the Lincoln Memorial, where Martin Luther King Jr. delivered his historic "I Have a Dream" speech, advocating racial harmony. Many words have been written about that day, but few so delicate and powerful as those presented here by award-winning author and illustrator Shane W. Evans. When combined with his simple yet compelling illustrations, the thrill of the day is brought to life for even the youngest reader to experience.

What I Thought: I really liked this book.  It was super effective and the art made it clear that it was historical.  

***

89.

Genre: Children's Fiction

Disability Representation: No.

Rating: 3/4 (Really liked it)

Excerpt of GoodReads Summary: What's the bestest job ever? A beauty shop guy, that's what! And Junie B. Jones is going to be one when she grows up. But first she needs a little practice. And a few volunteers. Like her bunny slippers. And her dog. And maybe even...herself? Is Junie B. on her way to a great new career? Or is she about to have the worst hair day ever?

What I Thought: I'm not gonna lie.  This one was super enjoyable.  I loved the focus on Junie B. herself and her problem-solving skills.  I loved how understanding Mrs. was.
***

90.

Genre: Nonfiction

Disability Representation: Yes (CP.)

Rating: 2/4 (Liked it)

Excerpt of GoodReads Summary:  In fairy tales, happy endings are the norm—as long as you're beautiful and walk on two legs. After all, the ogre never gets the princess. And since fairy tales are the foundational myths of our culture, how can a girl with a disability ever think she'll have a happy ending?

What I Thought: This book was a bit dense for me, a casual Disney fairytale lover.  But I'm always glad to read books by authors with CP and I'm glad I read it.  Check out my Twitter thread on Disfigured for more thoughts.  

***

Don't forget to connect on Facebook / Twitter / Instagram


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment. I always love hearing from people. :)