Monday, September 21, 2020

We Belong: Chapter 38

449 words
4 minute read

NOT EMBARRASSED
(Lexie)

The next time all the cousins get together at Sophia’s cabin, I’m nervous.  Sophia wants everyone to go swimming.  Jesse and I aren’t in casts anymore, but we're not really comfortable in a swimsuits now, having so many scars.

Plus, I can’t swim.  Neither can Jesse.

Shane can.  Sophia can. Even Connor can.  Seth is still learning.

“Okay, everybody in the secret club, over here!” Sophia’s hollering.  She, Shane and Connor are in the lake.  Jesse and I are on the shore.  Far away from Sophia.  The way we like it.

I lock eyes with Jesse.  “Go.  I know you want to,” I say.

“No,” he says, quiet.  “I don’t want to.  I don’t want to be in a secret club that doesn’t accept both of us.”

I blink.  “Oh.  Are you sure?”

“Positive,” Jesse insists.

We talk to each other on the shore until Sophia splashes over.  “Hey!  Did you not hear me?  I said everybody in the secret club come over!”

I glance at Jesse.  Then speak up: “Jesse heard, he just doesn’t wanna go.  We don’t wanna be in a club like that.  One that doesn’t accept people for who they are.”

“Me neither,” Shane says, joining Jesse and me on the shore.

“Me neither,” Connor echoes, sitting beside us, too.

Sophia’s mouth drops open in a perfect O.  “Seth!” she demands.  “Be in my secret club!”

“No, thank you,” Seth says, playing with his toys.  “I’ll play with my nice family.”

Sophia gets all red in the face and stomps in the cabin.

It’s the biggest surprise ever when Emma joins all of us at the picnic table, and says, “Hi, guys!  What are you up to?”

“Where did you come from?” I blurt.

“I picked her up on my way,” Mom passes along.  (I remember Mom had to work later.  Jesse, Seth and I couldn’t wait and we went with Dad earlier.)

“It’s amazing that you’re here,” I tell Emma.

“Yeah,” Jesse agrees.

“You got crutches like my sister,” Seth says, beaming.

“I guess so,” Emma nods.

We compare.  And it’s the best feeling not to be the only one anymore.

I find a box turtle and Jesse rescues it up onto the table for us all to study.

[Image: A cute tiny turtle being held in someone's hand]

It’s a good day.

Because nobody’s embarrassed.

Because I can just be me.


Return to the Table of Contents


Question for Discussion:

Have you ever felt totally at ease like Lexie does at the end of this chapter?  Like you can just be yourself?  Where were you?  Who were you with?


***

Don't forget to connect on Facebook / Twitter / Instagram


2 comments:

  1. I love that they are not alone anymore and that Lexie can just be herself!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment. I always love hearing from people. :)