Monday, September 28, 2020

We Belong: Chapter 39

558 words
4 minute read


SURPRISE!
(Lexie)

It’s almost the end of the summer.  Jesse and I are making the most of it by spending as much time as we can playing outside.  Today, it’s raining, though.  So, today, we’re up to our elbows in flour, making Oatmeal Scotchies, which are oatmeal butterscotch chip cookies.

Dad’s helping, thank goodness, so I know they’re going to be good.

He’s in charge of the mixer, because it takes so much energy.  And Jesse and I add things in when Dad says the last things are mixed enough.

(The butterscotch chips smell amazing.  If you haven’t smelled them before, you should.)

Mom’s at work, and Seth is napping.

Well, Mom was at work.  

I hear a key turn in the lock.

“We’re in here, honey!” Dad bellows.  His usual volume is loud.  I hope Seth keeps sleeping.

Mom comes into the kitchen carrying a big box with a giant bow on top.

“Found this on the front steps,” she says, breathing hard.

“What is it?” Jesse asks, washing and drying his hands in a hurry.  I’m right behind him, trying to hurry, but it slows me down.  

No one rushes me.  It’s nice.

“I don’t know.  Come and see, when you’re done.  Take your time,” Mom urges.  

Finally, I make it over to Mom and the box, and Jesse.  

“Did it come with a note?” Dad asks, curious.

“It says, To: Lexie and Jesse Martin," Mom reads in wonder, smiling at us.

Jesse and I look at each other.  We can’t help smiling, too.  We love surprises.  (And smiling.)

Jesse and I both sit in chairs and Mom sets the box between us. We count to three and lift the lid off...and find a soft tan golden retriever puppy inside!


[Image: A golden retriever puppy]

“Ohhhh…” I squeak.

Mom lifts out the puppy and hands it to me to hold.  It licks me on the cheek.

“Is it a boy or a girl?” Jesse checks.

“She’s a girl,” Mom confirms.

I hold the squirming puppy out for Jesse. He gathers her up.  She kisses him, too.

“You’re just like a teddy bear,” Jesse says softly.

“That’s what I thought, too!” I say back, so happy I might burst.

“Teddy Bear Martin.  Sounds like a good name to me,” Dad says.

Teddy barks.

I look at Jesse.  He grins back at me.  I know we’re thinking the same thing:

Teddy will fit right in.

Jesse passes the puppy back to me, and I almost can’t keep hold of her.  She’s so soft and wiggly.  

I think I might be dreaming.  But I’m awake in my real life.  It’s even better than dreaming!

As Teddy licks me on the face, I cuddle her, and think about Jesse’s words to me, way back when we first moved to Maple Street.

“Terrible things happen to kids who move,” he’d said.

“Yeah, sometimes,” I say out loud.  Then, I think about baking cookies with Dad, about Emma coming into our lives...and about Teddy.  I smile to myself:  “But so do wonderful things.”


Return to the Table of Contents


Questions for Discussion:

Have you ever gotten a surprise that you loved, like Lexie and Jesse?  What was it?

Who was your favorite character in We Belong?  

What was your favorite part?


***

Don't forget to connect on Facebook / Twitter / Instagram

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment. I always love hearing from people. :)