Thursday, July 23, 2020

Books I've Read in 2020: 41-45

587 words
5 minute read

41.


Genre:  Children's > Picture Books

Disability Representation:  No.

Rating: 1/4 Wheels (It was okay.)

Excerpt of GoodReads Summary:  How would you react if Somebody visited your house while you were gone, especially if the Somebody were a bear?

What I Thought:  This book was okay.  A retelling, not necessarily a super unique take.

***

42.

Genre:  Poetry

Disability Representation:  No, but it is OwnVoices as Mattie was disabled.

Rating: 2/4 Wheels (Liked it)

Excerpt of GoodReads Summary:  Now available in hardcover, a special gift edition with 16 pages of new poems and illustrations, the national bestseller that introduced millions of people to Mattie J.T. Stepanek.

What I Thought:  
This remains a really sweet book that I always enjoy.

***

43.

Genre:  Poetry

Disability Representation:  Yes, disability is covered in some of the poems and funny pages.

Rating: 2/4 Wheels (Liked it)

Excerpt of GoodReads Summary:  Kate Margaret Bigalk is a freelance writer and a poet. She is very passionate about what she writes. Kate has the unique ability to put the right words on feelings that don't seem to have any conventional definition...

What I Thought: 
Fun fact: I went to summer camp with Kate.  And rereading this one, I was struck by how genius it was for her to include her own Funny Pages (essentially excerpts of her own comedy act.)  What a great way to get your content out there!  I liked this book even more than the first time.  So rare to read work by a disabled author.

***

44.

Genre:  Poetry

Disability Representation:  No, but it is OwnVoices as Mattie was disabled.

Rating: 2/4 Wheels (Liked it)

Excerpt of GoodReads Summary:  Mattie J. T. Stepanek takes us on a Journey Through Heartsongs with more of his moving poems. These poems share the rare wisdom that Mattie has acquired through his struggle with a rare form of muscular dystrophy and the death of his three siblings from the same disease. His life view was one of love and generosity and as a poet and a peacemaker, his desire was to bring his message of peace to as many people as possible.

What I Thought:  I always enjoy reading Mattie's poetry, and I feel like Journey Through Heartsongs gives readers a bit more of an in-depth sense of Mattie as a person - of who he's growing into at this point in time.  There are still the poems he wrote as a little child.  But there's a burgeoning maturity here, evident both due to getting older, but also coping with so many traumas in Mattie's young life.  It all influenced his writing.

***

45.

Genre:  Children's Fiction

Disability Representation:  No.

Rating: 3/4 Wheels (Really liked it)

Excerpt of GoodReads Summary:  Meet the World's Funniest Kindergartner--Junie B. Jones! Remember when it was scary to go to school? In the first Junie B. Jones book, it's Junie B.'s first day and she doesn't know anything. She's so scared of the school bus and the meanies on it that when it's time to go home, she doesn't.

What I Thought:  This book made me laugh out loud a couple of times, and that's a difficult thing to achieve.  I really like Junie B. and have fond memories of reading a few of her books to my little brother when he was growing up.  It's a nice dose of nostalgia to read her again - and I'm not sure if I ever had the pleasure of reading this one.


***

Don't forget to connect on Facebook / Twitter / Instagram


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment. I always love hearing from people. :)