Thursday, July 30, 2020

Books I've Read in 2020: 51-55

626 words
5 minute read

51.

Genre:  Poetry

Disability Representation:  One poem has the C-word :/ 

Rating: 4/4 Wheels (Loved it!)

Excerpt of GoodReads Summary:  Where the Sidewalk Ends turns forty! Celebrate with this anniversary edition that features an eye-catching commemorative red sticker. This classic poetry collection, which is both outrageously funny and profound, has been the most beloved of Shel Silverstein's poetry books for generations.


What I Thought:  This book represents my childhood.  I still remember when my grandma brought it for us and read us poetry from it when we were seven years old.  There are still poems I'm super fond of, and that give me that nostalgic feeling.

***

52.

Genre:  Young Adult

Disability Representation:  No.

Rating: 4/4 Wheels (Loved it!)

Excerpt of GoodReads Summary:  Jay Reguero plans to spend the last semester of his senior year playing video games before heading to the University of Michigan in the fall. But when he discovers that his Filipino cousin Jun was murdered as part of President Duterte's war on drugs, and no one in the family wants to talk about what happened, Jay travels to the Philippines to find out the real story.

What I Thought:  This book was an unexpected gem that we happened to find because of seeing it mentioned on Twitter.  The writing style was beautiful and we were drawn to the fact that it is OwnVoices literature.  I honestly have never read a book like it.  And it is, so far, one of my favorite new reads of 2020. 

***

53.

Genre:  Classics

Disability Representation:  Yes, I think.  (Ponyboy definitely seems to have symptoms of a brain injury following his concussion.)

Rating: 2/4 Wheels (Liked it!)

Excerpt of GoodReads Summary:  The Outsiders is about two weeks in the life of a 14-year-old boy. The novel tells the story of Ponyboy Curtis and his struggles with right and wrong in a society in which he believes that he is an outsider.

What I Thought:  I first got this book for Christmas when I was thirteen, and have read it many times since then...but not much recently.  I was interested to see how it would read as an adult.  Through most of this book, I found myself annoyed at all the white privilege and racism, I did end up intrigued by Ponyboy's potential TBI / Post Concussive Syndrome symptoms (that are attributed to grief and trauma...which also change the brain.)  Definitely an interesting reread.

***

54.

Genre:  Poetry

Disability Representation:  Yes.

Rating: 3/4 Wheels (Really liked it!)

Excerpt of GoodReads Summary:  Reflections of a Peacemaker: A Portrait Through Heartsongs is the final collection of Heartsongs that Mattie was working on when he died. It includes the last poem Mattie penned along with a special collection of unpublished poetry, photographs, and artwork spanning the decade from when he began writing Heartsongs at age three.

What I Thought:  I really enjoyed this book, and felt it gave a really full picture of Mattie as a poet.  There are several favorite poems of his, but especially Purple Moon.  I was also struck by Steps of Heaven as well.  A great portrait of a young poet and what mattered to him.

***

55.


Genre:  Children's Fiction

Disability Representation:  No.

Rating: 3/4 Wheels (Really liked it!)

Excerpt of GoodReads Summary:  Trouble crops up because of an
unusual misunderstanding--Junie B. starts to think that her newborn brother is
really a baby monkey!

What I Thought:  Super cute.  I especially loved Principal and Mrs. taking the time to explain things to Junie B. and her classmates, and the fact that Junie B. was not in trouble for the misunderstanding, but was expected to give back the bribes she asked for from her friends.


***

Don't forget to connect on Facebook / Twitter / Instagram


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment. I always love hearing from people. :)