Saturday, July 25, 2020

Books I've Read in 2020: 46-50

571 words
4 minute read

46.


Genre:  Memoir

Disability Representation:  Mental illness

Rating: 2/4 Wheels (Liked it)

Excerpt of GoodReads Summary:  Mara Wilson has always felt a little young and a little out of place: as the only child on a film set full of adults, the first daughter in a house full of boys, the sole clinically depressed member of the cheerleading squad, a valley girl in New York and a neurotic in California, and one of the few former child actors who has never been in jail or rehab...

What I Thought:  I still remember watching Mrs. Doubtfire as a child, at about 12.  Because of that, I was interested to check out Mara Wilson's memoir.  While not a lot of it was relatable to me, I did really appreciate Mara's candor about mental illness.

***

47.

Genre:  Poetry

Disability Representation:  Yes.

Rating: 3/4 Wheels (Really liked it!)

Excerpt of GoodReads Summary:  The award-winning bestselling poetry of 11-year-old Mattie Stepanek has touched the lives of hundreds and thousands of people. From Heartsongs, to Vietnam War Memorial, to Prayer for a Journey, Mattie has written movingly and courageously about life and death, love and loss, faith and hope, innocence and joy.

What I Thought:  This is, I think, my favorite of Mattie's original five books of poetry.  I really relate to his stark view of life and the world, while also trying to find and hold onto hope.  I love his openness about the reality he's living in and that he doesn't hide what he's going through.

***

48.

Genre:  Poetry

Disability Representation:  Yes.

Rating: 2/4 Wheels (Liked it!)

Excerpt of GoodReads Summary:  Mattie J.T. Stepanek is an award-winning poet whose struggle with a rare form of Muscular Dystrophy has touched the lives of people nationwide. Celebrate Through Heartsongs, his fourth inspiring collection of poetry, features works written between the ages of three and eleven, and continues to spread Mattie's message of universal hope, peace, courage, and love. 

What I Thought:  I might've given this one a 1/4 wheels rating except that it features Mattie's poem "I AM", which is my absolute favorite by him.

***

49.


Genre:  Poetry

Disability Representation:  Yes.

Rating: 1/4 Wheels (It was OK.)

Excerpt of GoodReads Summary:  Mattie J. T. Stepanek has won the hearts of millions with his inspiring poems from his first two New York Times bestsellers. Now he's ready to spread a little love with Loving Through Heartsongs, a beautiful collection of poems written about innocence and trusting love from a child's perspective.

What I Thought:  Honestly, this is probably my least favorite of these five books - but still good - and worth the read!

***

50.


Genre:  Dystopia

Disability Representation:  Yes (trauma)

Rating: 1/4 (It was OK)

Excerpt of GoodReads Summary:  The final book in the ground-breaking HUNGER GAMES trilogy, this new foiled edition of MOCKINGJAY is available for a limited period of time. Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has survived the Hunger Games twice. But now that she's made it out of the bloody arena alive, she's still not safe...

What I Thought:  I reread this one about once a year, and this is my least favorite of the three.  There are aspects I enjoy - "enjoy" is not the right word - but aspects that are revelatory and feel deeply accurate.  But for the most part, I find I don't enjoy where this trilogy ends up.


***

Don't forget to connect on Facebook / Twitter / Instagram


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment. I always love hearing from people. :)