Saturday, August 15, 2020

Books I've Read in 2020: 61-65

709 words
6 minute read

61.


Genre:  Fantasy

Disability Representation:  Yes (trauma)

Rating: 3/4 Wheels (Really liked it!)

Excerpt of GoodReads Summary: The Dursleys were so mean and hideous that summer that all Harry Potter wanted was to get back to the Hogwarts School for Witchcraft and Wizardry. But just as he's packing his bags, Harry receives a warning from a strange, impish creature named Dobby who says that if Harry Potter returns to Hogwarts, disaster will strike.

What I Thought: I read this for the first time in 2018 and found myself enjoying it even more now.  I appreciated the storyline and the writing and Dumbledore's words to Harry, that, in essence, no matter what evil touches you, it is your choices that determine who you are.

***

62.

Genre:  Children's Fiction

Disability Representation:  No.

Rating: 2/4 Wheels (Liked it)

Excerpt of GoodReads Summary: Junie B. is the bestest spier in the whole world. That's 'cause she has sneaky feet. And her nose doesn't whistle when she breathes. But guess what? Junie B. might be real sneaky. And real peeky. But when she spies on Mrs., she could get into real trouble!

What I Thought: I liked this one and how it explored the novelty of a kid seeing their teacher outside the classroom.  I continue to appreciate how Mrs. and Principal are safe adults in Junie B's world and that they tell her the truth and own up to their mistakes.

***

63.

Genre:  Children's Fiction

Disability Representation:  No.

Rating: 2/4 Wheels (Liked it)

Excerpt of GoodReads Summary: Meet the World's Funniest Kindergartner--Junie B. Jones! It's Carnival Night, and Lucille has already won a box of fluffy cupcakes with sprinkles on them. But when Junie B. wins the Cake Walk, she chooses the bestest cake of all--the one wrapped in sparkly aluminum foil. How was she to know it was a lethal weapon?

What I Thought: I liked this one...maybe not as much as others.  But I did laugh out loud when Junie B. worried the heavy fruitcake would turn her legs into "flattys."

***

64.

Genre:  Memoir

Disability Representation:  Yes.

Rating: 4/4 Wheels (LOVE it)

Excerpt of GoodReads Summary: In Messenger, Mattie's mother, Jeni Stepanek, recounts the years before Mattie got sick; how he handled the loss of his siblings from the same disease he had; his decision to spread the message of peace and hope; and how, when he became a celebrity, Jeni helped to keep him grounded, and remember to embrace being a kid. Including never-before- seen poems, journal entries, photos, and correspondence with famous friends, Messenger is an inspirational book about a life lived to the fullest.

What I Thought: This is one of my all-time favorite books.  I've reread it a few times since its release in 2010, but it's a tough one to get through.  Mainly, I love the openness and honesty with which Jeni shared the reality of her situation and that of her kids.  I loved seeing how, though Mattie's life was very hard and full of medical and other kinds of uncertainty, he was beautifully emotionally supported.  I love the respect that so obviously existed between parent and child.  I loved seeing disability culture represented and so normalized in this book.

***

65.


Genre:  Children's Fiction

Disability Representation:  No.

Rating: 1/4 Wheels (It was OK)

Excerpt of GoodReads Summary:  Meet the World’s Funniest Kindergartner—Junie B. Jones! That meanie Jim has invited everyone in Room Nine to his birthday party on Saturday—except Junie B.! Should she have her own birthday party six months early and not invite Jim? Or should she move to It’s a Small World After All in Disneyland?

What I Thought: I found this one to be a little frustrating.  From Junie B's being left out of receiving an invitation -- which was Jim's prerogative -- and which could have been remedied by having the kids mail invitations and not give them out at school.  To Junie B. not being informed about what actually going to a birthday party would entail -- and kind of having that tossed back in her face by her mom.  ("This was your idea!")  I did like that she ended up doing what she wanted with her Saturday, though.

***

Don't forget to connect on Facebook / Twitter / Instagram

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment. I always love hearing from people. :)