Monday, August 31, 2020

We Belong: Chapter 35

481 words
4 minute read

LEFT OUT
(Jesse)

It’s not until that night, when we’re supposed to be asleep that I figure it out.  
Before Lexie can fake sleep, I toss Carrot-Breath at her.  I make him say “Bombs away!” and he lands right by her face.  She smiles and then looks like she might cry.
“That’s not fair.  You tricked me.”
“I’m sorry,” I say.  Because I really, really am.  For whatever I did that is making Lexie so sad.
“You don’t even know what you did,” she grumbles, not looking at me.  It’s still light out and I can see her ignoring me and facing the wall.
“I know I did something,” I try.  “But our twin mind reading only works sometimes.  It doesn’t work every single time.”  (That’s a joke, mostly.  We don’t have mind reading powers, but sometimes we do think about the same thing at the same time and say it together.)
“You shouldn’t have to read my mind.  You should just know.  You should just know that being in a club that keeps me out and makes fun of me is mean and rude!”
“Kids…  Keep it down in there,” Dad warns.  He’s not mad, but he doesn’t like repeating himself.
“I didn’t know you cared,” I say quietly.
“Of course I do!  I get left out all the time, Jesse.  But I never thought I’d have to worry about you leaving me out.”
“Jesse and Lexie,” Dad says in a sing-song voice he uses when he is trying to be serious and failing.  “Don’t make me come in there or I’m singing you a lullaby…”

[Image: A treble clef and birds with music notes on telephone wires]

Did I mention Dad has the worst voice ever in the whole world?  His lullabies used to make Seth cry.  I don’t even laugh, though, because Lexie is upset and that really is serious.
“Connor and Shane left both of us out,” I argue.  “Why aren’t you mad at them?”
“Because,” Lexie hisses.  Her voice sounds like she might start crying.  “Connor and Shane didn’t know we’d be left out when they joined!  You knew Sophia was going to leave me out and you joined anyway.”
“...I wanted to fit in,” I admit softly.  
“Well, so do I…  I want to fit in more than anything in the whole world.  So it’s really not fair that you would do the same thing everybody else does.  Like you’re embarrassed by me…”
“I’m not!” I argue.  
I can hear Lexie sniffling, and her voice breaks.  “You’re just as bad as Sophia…”
“Lex…” I try again.  “I’m not embarrassed…”
“Then prove it,” she says, and doesn’t talk to me the rest of the night.


Return to the Table of Contents


Question for Discussion:

Do you think Jesse's embarrassed of Lexie?  Why or why not?

***

Don't forget to connect on Facebook / Twitter / Instagram

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment. I always love hearing from people. :)