Sunday, August 2, 2020

Books I've Read in 2020: 56-60

596 words
5 minute read

56.

Genre:  Anthology

Disability Representation:  Yes.

Rating: 1/4 Wheels (It was OK)

Excerpt of GoodReads Summary:  Mattie was working on this manuscript with Jimmy Carter when he died in June 2004. His mother, Jeni, who edited the material and wrote a preface for the book has published it at her son's request. Just Peace explores Mattie's concept of the world and all people as a unique mosaic of gifts. War and injustice shatter the mosaic, which can only be made whole again by planning and actively pursuing peace. The young visionary's essays, poetry, and photographs appear throughout the book. Jimmy Carter has written a special foreword for the book.

What I Thought:  This is a different kind of book, and a lot of the essays were a bit beyond my level.  I did very much enjoy the email correspondences between Mattie and President Carter, as well as Mattie's own introduction to the book / his own autobiography in his own words.

***

57.

Genre:  Poetry

Disability Representation:  Yes.

Rating: 4/4 Wheels (Gotta have confidence in my own stuff, right?)

Excerpt of GoodReads Summary:  Beauty for Ashes is a collection of poetry exploring themes including faith, grief and overcoming.

What I Thought:  I hadn't read this in a while, and seeing it again really opened my eyes to a lot of the trauma that was just below the surface for me.  Poetry allowed me a vehicle to give words to it, even before I was ready to truly face it.

***

58.


Genre:  Poetry

Disability Representation:  Yes.

Rating: 4/4 Wheels (Gotta have confidence in my own stuff, right?)

Excerpt of GoodReads Summary:  Some Bright Morning is a book about choosing to live with hope and celebrating people.  It contains a resounding theme that we are not defined by what happens to us, but by how we choose to view our circumstances.

What I Thought:  This was another really interesting one to look back on.  I really did enjoy rereading some of this.  Poems like No Less Now and Past Life, Come Over and Make It Real really leapt out at me.

***

59.

Genre:  Children's Fiction

Disability Representation:  No.

Rating: 4/4 Wheels (Loved it!)

Excerpt of GoodReads Summary:  Junie B.'s having a rough week. First she got punishment for shooting off her mouth in kindergarten. And now she's in big trouble again! 'Cause Monday is Job Day, and Junie B. told her class that she's got the bestest job of all. Only, what the heck is it?

What I Thought:  I really enjoyed this book, especially the fact that Mrs. spoke up for Junie B. and her chosen profession.  I love that Junie B. knew and articulated to the class that girls could do any job boys could do.  I love how deeply Junie B. thought about which job would encapsulate all the things she loved.  (And I LOVED that Jamal Hall's job choice was president of the United States!)

***

60.

Genre:  Middle Grade Fiction

Disability Representation:  No.

Rating: 2/4 Wheels (Liked it!)

Excerpt of GoodReads Summary:  Every summer the Pikes rent a house right on the ocean in Sea City, New Jersey. And they bring two sitters along to take care of the Pike kids. Only this time, the whole entire Baby-sitters Club is going!

What I Thought:  We found this one recently at the bottom of a bag.  (Hence, the picture of the original.)  One of a couple books we still have from childhood.  It was really sweetly nostalgic, and I enjoyed it.

***

Don't forget to connect on Facebook / Twitter / Instagram


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment. I always love hearing from people. :)