Monday, August 24, 2020

We Belong: Chapter 34

340 words
3 minute read

SOMETHING’S WRONG
(Jesse)

It takes me a while to realize, because Lexie is so happy her candy is back, but something is wrong.  That night, in bed, she goes to sleep right away.  Or, I think she does.  Then I hear her sniffling and making crying noises.
“Lex?” I whisper.  “Are you okay?  Is it your legs?”
There’s a long pause.  “Yeah...but I’ll just go to sleep.  Don’t worry about it.”
I do worry, though.  The next day is Saturday and she doesn’t want to play that much.  She gets really mad when I eat the last of the Cocoa Pebbles.  
The last thing I want is for this to turn into the time when I waited two weeks to talk to Lexie.  I want her to talk to me and trust me, but I don’t know how to make her.
At my baseball game I can’t even concentrate on watching from sitting next to the bench.  All my thoughts are on Lexie.  She didn’t want to come to my game and she always wants to come to my games even if I’m bad, which I always am.

When we go get ice cream after the game, Lexie talks to everyone but me.  Mom, Dad and Seth.  Seth’s ice cream is melting all over his face, and his hands.  Then he puts his hands in his hair and it’s even worse.  He smiles.

[Image: Three kinds of ice cream cones]

“That’s good ice cream, right?” he asks.

“Yeah…” I say.

Seth shoves an ice creamy hand in my face.  “Not talking to you.  Only Lexie.  She’s my friend.”
I raise my eyebrows as Lexie looks away from me and points to a park out the window, talking to Seth all about it and ignoring me.
It’s the worst day.





Question for Discussion:

Jesse says it feels like the worst day, being ignored by Lexie.  Have you ever been ignored?  How did it feel?

***

Don't forget to connect on Facebook / Twitter / Instagram


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment. I always love hearing from people. :)