Monday, August 10, 2020

We Belong: Chapter 32

687 words
5 minute read

CANDY RESCUE
(Lexie)

It’s Friday before we can get the Candy Rescue going.  Shane and Connor’s parents, (aunt Jodie and uncle Mike) want to have a date night.  Our parents are still busy with the new house and helping Jesse and me with therapy and taking care of Seth, so Connor and Shane have to go to uncle Craig and aunt Janice’s house...with Sophia.

(Lucky for us that means Shane and Connor are minutes away if they find the candy...unlucky for us...that means Sophia is also minutes away.  Ew.)

I hope they can resist Sophia’s bossiness, enough to stick to the plan.

I can’t stop staring at the clock in the kitchen.  As soon as we are done eating supper, Jesse and I excuse ourselves and go to his room.  We hear a weird noise, and Jesse’s eyes get big.

“Aliens…” he says.

I laugh, and point to his desk where the old set of walkie-talkies are that Dad gave us.  Jesse and I gave the other one to Connor and Shane a long time ago.  They sound weird and staticy and they are huge, like cell phones from the olden days.

[Image: Two black walkie talkies]

“Jesse and Lexie.  Come in.”  

“Connor!” We cheer, and Jesse grabs the walkie-talkie.  

“We’re here.  What do you see?” Jesse quizzes softly.

“I’m in her room.  It’s like a glitter bomb exploded in here.”

“Do you have the map?” I ask.

“Yeah.  Do you know how gross it is that you want me to check her dirty clothes hamper?  Would you seriously want to eat candy that was in there?” Connor asks.

I wrinkle my nose.  “You’re right.  Look in the other places, though.”

“Wait, how are we gonna get the candy out without Sophia knowing?” Connor asks.  

Jesse thinks a minute.  “Give it to Shane when you find it.  He’s allowed to walk here since it’s not dark yet.  But you have to distract Sophia.”
“How?” Connor sounds scared.

“Any way you can,” Jesse insists.
There are a few tense minutes where we wait for Connor to look under Sophia’s bed and in her closet.  Then I remember.  “Check her underwear drawer!  It’s where we hid ours!”
“Gross!  No way!” Connor exclaims.

“Be quiet!” Jesse insists.  “Listen, this is important.  Sophia is counting on you guys being too chicken to look there, but you’re not chicken.  You’re brave.  You’re super brave right?  You’re starting first grade this year.”
“Yeah, okay…” Connor takes a deep breath.
“They’re clean if they’re in the drawer, so you can touch them, and move them around,” I add.
“I got those things from the drawer in the kitchen, you know that you flip hot dogs with on the grill?  So, I can totally pick up her girly undies no problem!”
“You got barbecue tongs?” Jesse laughs.
“Guys, stop joking around!  You have to hurry before Sophia finds you,” I insist.
“She won’t.  Shane’s doing her hair.  He promised to keep her busy until I’m back," Connor reassures us.

There’s a big burst of static and Jesse and I look at each other.
“I’m in.  You guys, there’s about a million of girls’ underwear inside here...” Connor’s voice says over the walkie-talkie.  He sounds breathless.. Like he just broke into a vault with hidden treasures.  I hope he finds my hidden candy.
“I got it!” Connor says too loudly.  
“Okay, be quiet!” Jesse shushes him.
“Tell Shane to come here, like nothing big is going on, okay?  Everything’s normal.  Then give him the candy, and the walkie-talkie and you go distract Sophia.
“Doing what?”
“Tell her you want her to do your hair!” I blurt.
“That’s a terrible idea…” Connor whines softly.
“It’s just for long enough so Shane can drop off the candy.  You’re awesome Connor, okay, and you’re the best, but we still need you.  Now can you do this?  For the candy?” Jesse asks.
Connor takes a deep breath.  “Okay.”


Return to the Table of Contents


Question for Discussion:

Have you ever talked on walkie talkies like Lexie, Jesse and Connor?


***

Don't forget to connect on Facebook / Twitter / Instagram

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment. I always love hearing from people. :)